Fastback factory colours

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
koronetkid

Fastback factory colours

Post by koronetkid » 19th October 2014 - 12:07pm

hello

don't know if any one has ever seen one? but did VW ever supply early first year production Fastbacks in Sea Blue colour.
if they did and some one has an image please post it

Regards

Sean

vwed

Re: Fastback factory colours

Post by vwed » 19th October 2014 - 12:36pm

Editor

Post by Editor » 19th October 2014 - 11:37pm

I doubt it - Fastbacks started in model year '66 (Aug '65) and Sea blue was only '64 and '65 (Aug '63 to July '65). That's a shame as I think it's one of the nicest colours.
Take a look at the colour chart at http://home.clara.net/hallvw/vwpaint.htm . There's a column for the year. Choice of blues for model year '66 is VW blue or Baltic blue.

Looking at the Samba colour charts, I'd say the VW blue is a lighter blue than appears in their charts.
Dave.

Kharon8

Post by Kharon8 » 23rd November 2014 - 4:37am

Editor wrote:I doubt it - Fastbacks started in model year '66 (Aug '65) and Sea blue was only '64 and '65 (Aug '63 to July '65). That's a shame as I think it's one of the nicest colours.
Take a look at the colour chart at http://home.clara.net/hallvw/vwpaint.htm . There's a column for the year. Choice of blues for model year '66 is VW blue or Baltic blue.

Looking at the Samba colour charts, I'd say the VW blue is a lighter blue than appears in their charts.
A note here: Ordering paint just by the code might not bring the expected results with Sea Blue (L360).

VW did the nasty and re-used colour code Sea Blue (among some others which I don't remember now), it has been used for two quite different versions of blue.

And, as usual, you'd really need both side by side or in same photograph to tell the difference.

There's a discussion about this in Samba and it's not short one, but worth reading as it has samples too:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=353267

Karmann-Ghias had the darker version (less green) from factory (at least at early 60s), but I don't know about other type 3s. My T34 is -65 so it would fit in to time frame given above.
Kharon - '61typ2, '63typ14,'65typ34 & '74 412
FVWA.fi Support Group

Editor

Post by Editor » 24th November 2014 - 2:03am

We had a '64 Sea blue Type 3. When we had a driver reverse into the door, we ordered a stove enamelled new door and the match was perfect, even though the car was already 2 or 3 years old. I've never heard of a different Sea blue, but I know that VW sometimes have added .1 or .2 to a colour code. They had panels on the factory roof weathering to keep track of colour changes, but I've no idea if that led to different versions.

The Type 2s were made in a different factory. and many of the colours were quite different from the car colours, but the paint recipes were standardised with certain mixtures of pigments - they used to be on the back of the colour chip books. I recall my Garnet red had so many parts of Turkey red oxide - no idea of the other ingredients though!
Dave.

Wireless

Post by Wireless » 28th November 2014 - 4:32pm

Could still have been painted in Sea Blue, my Squareback was painted by Wolfsburg in a none-VW colour at the request of the customer, and has the VW Paint Code 69, so anything is possible.
73 de Wayne M5WJF

'73 Type 4 412 LS Variant (UK Reg '74)

Editor

Post by Editor » 29th November 2014 - 12:47am

I recall the most unusual background to that car, and the delay in production so the batch could be painted. Easiest way for Sean to find out would be to ask for the birth certificate, which would confirm the original paint code. Last I remember they were £50 each though.
Dave.