how many seats in t3?

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
t4mel

how many seats in t3?

Post by t4mel » 21st October 2014 - 9:01pm

Hi All,
Just humour me here... How many is a T3 legally allowed to carry?
I only have 4 seat belts but wondered if you're ok to carry a fifth person.

Editor

Re: how many seats in t3?

Post by Editor » 22nd October 2014 - 1:28pm

Yes you can carry 5 (2 in the front and 3 in the back).- It counts as a 5-seater; in fact there is provision, certainly for the later models, for a centre lap seat belt. If you look under the back seat, there are circular cut-outs in the felt lining on the tunnel with plastic blanking screws underneath. There is a threaded insert for the belt bolts.

On that basis you can carry 5, though the middle one is pretty exposed if you do hit something head-on! At least they probably won't take your head off as they leave through the windscreen! A lap belt is not too expensive, and the threads in the mounting position are not usually too rusty. The law for children is a bit different - under 12 or less than a certain height, they must have a child seat fitted and wear the belts on that.

Front 3-point seat belts must be fitted and worn. Since 1991, rear seat passengers have had to wear a seat belt if fitted (all cars since 1987 had been required to have them fitted for all seats in the rear). Only pre-65 don't need front belts to be fitted.
Dave.

t4mel

Post by t4mel » 22nd October 2014 - 4:19pm

Thanks Dave. That's what I was after. I couldn't find it on my log book or any documentation online.
Will get a lap-belt ASAP.

In2Rust

Post by In2Rust » 4th January 2015 - 9:53pm

Sure my 71 squareback docs state 4 seater (also in handbook it says 4 seater).
1969 Peru Green Squareback

Editor

Post by Editor » 6th January 2015 - 12:12pm

I've never considered it only a 4 seater. My Instruction Manual (VW supplied with car) doesn't state number of seats, but does say on the seat-belt page "The front seats and the two outer places on the rear seat can be fitted with shoulder or lap belts or combined shoulder/lap belts." That implies at least one more place in the rear.

Also I see that tyre pressure info is given for the Sedan (ie Fastback/Notchback) as "with 1 or 2 occupants..... with 3-5 occupants....... " so clearly it is accepted by VW as a 5 seater. For the Variant it only quotes tyre pressures for half-load and full-load.

I've looked through the old V5 and the V5C and it doesn't have any entry in the seating capacity space.
My 1999 Golf estate has 3 seats and belts in the back and I think is the same width internally as the Type 3.

If you have '4-seater' specified on official documentation, it may prove awkward if you carry 5 and have an insurance claim.

With the above 'evidence' I'm pretty sure you couldn't be done for carrying 5 including the driver, though the rear passengers might complain! At least we don't have the uncomfortable mid-seat you find on some cars.
Dave.

In2Rust

Post by In2Rust » 11th January 2015 - 12:33am

I have always thought of it as a 5 seater car too David.

If I can remember where I read the info that states 4 seater then I will post a pic up.
1969 Peru Green Squareback

Editor

Post by Editor » 12th January 2015 - 2:36am

Lots of typing errors can creep in - you'd be surprised what some of our VWs have been registered as - I think Jim Bourne had a 412 estate that was a Passat in the logbook!
As long as it's not on the insurance documentation.
Dave.