Newbie..

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
vw4me

Newbie..

Post by vw4me » 11th November 2014 - 9:11pm

Hello Everyone,

As the title says Im a newbie to this site, and indeed a newbie to T3's.
At the moment I am researching/looking into buying a squareback, but currently own a T4, which I hope to sell to fund buying a squareback.
I was wondering if anyone could spare me five minutes, and tell me what its like to own one. I know you (we) are enthusiasts about these vehicles, but I imagine that the enthusiam can somewhat wane after one disaster after another. Just a warts and all opinion...
I have been reading buyers guides, what to look out for when buying one, but inevitably, parts will be needed. Are they reasonably available, with a bit of hard work and digging around to find them?

I am in the lucky position that I dont need a car for work, and that I have a double garage which my T4 sits in at the moment, but I would like to see replaced with a squareback. If i drive 50 miles a week, thats a lot of driving for me....

I understand that owning a vehicle like this is a labour of love, but i have to say, I love the look of these cars.

Anyway, if anyone could spare me five minutes of their time, I'd really appreciate it.

Antony

purplepeter

Re: Newbie..

Post by purplepeter » 11th November 2014 - 10:24pm

Type 3's are Lovely to drive & own!
The General rule of thumb is that if You see parts, You buy them.. Accordingly, most of us have a cars worth or more of spares, but getting anyone to admit to what they've got can be tricky!
The spares situation isn't as easy as other aircooled vw's, But most parts can be obtained by hook or by crook eventually.

Editor

Post by Editor » 11th November 2014 - 10:42pm

Hello Antony, and welcome to the Forum.
Just wondering if your 'T4' is a Type 4 (411/412), or a Type 2 T4 (Bus ).

If it's a 411 or 412, you would find the Type 3 Variant/Squareback very similar, but slightly smaller, and with the same potential issues of rust you can get with any old VW. The 411/412 engine parts are generally about twice the price of the Type 3 ones. The mechanicals of a Type 3 are fairly readily available as many are common to Type 1 (Beetle). Body panels are fairly easily sourced, but not much is NOS - we rely on secondhand parts for those and major items such as front axles and gearboxes. For trim, there are a number of sources of repro, in original or custom styles. Quite a few panels, and indeed whole vehicles, are coming in from Australia and South Africa (in RHD form), and the USA, where there are still a fair number in use. Around half of production ended up in the USA.

As classics, they are very driveable, much more roomy than a Beetle, better heat and performance than either a Beetle or Bus, and comfortable for longer journeys too. Twin carb models are easier understood by mechanics, but fuel injection gives a bit more sparkle, particularly at lower RPM. The carbs give similar performance at higher RPM. Sorting out FI can be trickier, and you have to learn the system, but if you can use a multimeter there aren't many things to be frightened of - it's not that sophisticated.

There is a good knowledge base via this Forum, and through various USA groups and retailers, with members who've driven and maintained them for decades.
And of course, all Type 3s are now tax (VED) exempt.

If you want specific advice, just post a question here and you'll get several responses.
Dave.

vw4me

Post by vw4me » 12th November 2014 - 6:39pm

Thankyou for replying to my post, and thanks for the information.
Sorry, my T4 is a 2.5 TDI etc, which like I said Im gonna sell to hopefully get a Squareback, but before I bought one i just wanted to research it, so i could get the best vehicle i could afford.

Thanks again!

Wireless

Post by Wireless » 28th November 2014 - 4:17pm

You don't have a T4, you have a Type 2 Mk4, just like I don't own a late bay, I have a Type 2c.

We get a number of people turn up in here with problems on their buses but we don't get upset, they still own a VW, it's a common mistake people make, most people have seen Type 3's, but are unfamiliar with Type 4 411/412 vehicles, which ceased production in 1974.

For illustrative purposes, here's a 1973 Type 4 412LS Variant.

73 de Wayne M5WJF

'73 Type 4 412 LS Variant (UK Reg '74)

Editor

Post by Editor » 29th November 2014 - 12:50am

He does have a T4, which is the 4th generation of the Type 2 (bus).
Dave.