Is my fasty worth restoring?

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
runningmonkey

Is my fasty worth restoring?

Post by runningmonkey » 9th June 2015 - 9:58pm

I just got a 73 fastback which I was planing on making into a VWDRC car. I bought the car blind and didn't really know what I was getting involved in. Iv now had a chance to have a go look at the car and it needs a lot of work

The work involved is mainly body and floor which doesn't really bother me as I can cut out sections and weld in new ones all day long, but what does bother me is where the parts will come from? and how much it will all cost.

I want to do the project but if its going to cost me 10k just to get parts together then I may knock it on the head before I start

List of parts is looking a bit like this-

n/s/r inner rear arch
o/s/r inner rear arch
both rear bumper mounts
rear valance
n/s/r bottom 1/4 panel
o/s/r bottom 1/4 panel
2 x front doors
n/s/r floor pan 1/4 battery tray area
n/s/r jacking point
o/s/r jacking point
n/s/f inner wheel arch
n/s front bottom door post
complete front nose section and valance (including bumper mounts spare wheel well)
Bonnet
o/s front inner wheel arch
o/s bottom door post
o/s rear 1/4 floor pan
front and rear bumpers
complete front indacaters both sides

I can split the body off the pan and start working on it, Some sections I may not need due to modification (maybe the rear valance, front nose and valance, I may cut the rear arch's out completely not sure yet. Its hard to start a race car project like this as am not 100% sure on which way am going to be taking the car but as am starting with a rotten shell in the first place am unsure weather or not am a bit mad in getting in so deep with the car or weather I should find another shell.

I want to race a Type 3 There not many out there and would be great to restore this car

runningmonkey

Re: Is my fasty worth restoring?

Post by runningmonkey » 9th June 2015 - 10:06pm

A few pictures

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 9th June 2015 - 11:01pm

If You can Weld & presumably fabricate as well, I'd say it looks perfectly do able
Type 3 repair panels don't grow on trees, as You've already gathered, but a lot can be done from the starting point of flat sheet & if it's a hobby/project/excuse to escape then You won't be counting the cost in terms of Man-hours
Mario at T3HQ will be able to help You source the difficult bits, Konny is also a possibility http://typ3-konny.de
Have a look in the Members cars & projects section on here for inspiration
Once You've actually driven a Type 3, You'll fall in love, I promise!

Danny Lord

Post by Danny Lord » 10th June 2015 - 6:27am

I have a pair of Bumpers, front indicators, front wings that need repair (maybe you can make a good pair out of yours and mine) I know a guy on VZi that has a door for sale, and possibly another guy who has a bonnet.
Got a Notch? www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/

eagle

Post by eagle » 10th June 2015 - 9:40am

I'm also breaking a squareback. A wanted ad will help bring in some of the parts.

runningmonkey

Post by runningmonkey » 10th June 2015 - 12:19pm

Thanks folks

Yes I can have a go at making some panels myself. Areas such as the battery tray, floor pan area I can patch, inner wheel arch can make but I guess not to original spec/shape but as near as dam it. I wouldn't be able to recreate complicated sections such as bottom door posts or bumper mounts etc. Or any of the outer body panels like the rear wings.

I can't really commit to buying panels yet but thanks for the offers, Once Iv striped the car down I can then start crossing thing of the list

Eagle- Will be in contact ref your square your breaking, What are the door like? Are they the same as a fasty door?

Danny- Thanks for the offer, I have the other wing and its perfect :nod: Front indicator I will defo want as it has none at the mo, bumpers...maybe, In some way am jumping the gun some what in asking for parts but I wanted to see how easily it was sourcing parts (which I now know as hens teeth! )

Tight yorkie mick

Post by Tight yorkie mick » 12th June 2015 - 8:48am

I came across this the other day, I know it's not correct for your year and not exactly cheap but would cure all front end rust, and be a perfect drag car mod
http://www.shop.speedsterclinic.com/en/ ... front.html
Also these things are getting rare so must be worth a go.

runningmonkey

Post by runningmonkey » 12th June 2015 - 1:56pm

Tight yorkie mick wrote:I came across this the other day, I know it's not correct for your year and not exactly cheap but would cure all front end rust, and be a perfect drag car mod
http://www.shop.speedsterclinic.com/en/ ... front.html
Also these things are getting rare so must be worth a go.

That is very tasty indeed! Thanks,