Good prices at auction for top class type 3 's

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
PP

Good prices at auction for top class type 3 's

Post by PP » 5th August 2015 - 11:45pm

I hear there is a bit of a classic car bubble floating around at the moment, as confirmed by these very good auction prices for exceptional type 3 's - Maybe someone on here bought one?

http://www.angliacarauctions.co.uk/en/c ... -fastback/
11300 sterling

http://www.swva.co.uk/lot-38-volkswagen ... iant-1972/
12985 sterling

The Variant was well advertised before auction, and it was even displayed over to Ireland in July in the excellent static car show held in Terenure in Dublin. I saw it there and it attracted a lot of attention. I would say it was condition 1 on the scale below.

Most cars, including my own are probably condition 3 (or condition 2 at 10 feet.....), or condition 4. Prices probably fall dramatically from condition 1 or 2.

TheSamba.com condition scale -

1 - Excellent - A close to perfect original or a very well restored vehicle. Generally a body-off restoration, but a well done body-on restoration that has been fully detailed may qualify. The vehicle is stunning to look at and any flaws are trivial and not readily apparent. Everything works as new. All equipment is original, NOS, or excellent quality reproductions.

2 - Very Good - An extremely presentable vehicle showing minimal wear, or a well restored vehicle. Runs and drives smooth and tight. Needs no mechanical or cosmetic work. All areas (chassis not required, but may be) have been fully detailed. Beautiful to look at but clearly below a #1 vehicle.

3 - Good - Presentable inside and out with some signs of wear. Not detailed but very clean. Body should be straight and solid with no apparent rust and absolutely no rust-through anywhere. Shiny, attractive paint but may have evidence of minor fading or checking or other imperfections. Runs and drives well. May need some minor mechanical or cosmetic work but is fully usable and enjoyable as is.

4 - Fair - Runs and drives OK but needs work throughout the vehicle. Body shows signs of wear or previous restoration work. Any rust should be minimal and not in any structural areas. Cosmetics, body, and mechanics all need work to some degree.

5 - Poor - In need of complete restoration, but is complete and not a rust bucket beyond repair. May or may not run and drive. Not roadworthy.

6 - Parts or Salvage - Incomplete vehicle most useful for parts.

Editor

Re: Good prices at auction for top class type 3 's

Post by Editor » 6th August 2015 - 1:40am

Lovely to see Roy Watts old car back in England again. It went to Ireland to the next owner. His and mine were often rivals in the concours, but he always beat me! Where he continued to improve his to get it into top rate condition, I drove mine to meetings in England, and several in Europe, and when the garage filled with my son's Buggy, it ended up outside, so now it needs restoration!

Does anyone know if Roy and Velma are still around?

I've just looked at the Fastback - I wondered where that car had gone! The owner replaced anything that was at all marked when he got it, and spent a fortune - more in 1999 money than it has just sold for.

They are both in the 2000 Calendar on the Club website at http://home.clara.net/hallvw/calendar/2000-05.htm and http://home.clara.net/hallvw/calendar/2000-06.htm

What a blast from the past!
Dave.

PP

Post by PP » 6th August 2015 - 8:21am

ah... that explains why it was on display in July in Dublin - here all the time but probably under cotton wool - it was at a dealers stand. Editior - do you know it stayed in the UK ? maybe another foreign buyer has taken it away from you..

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 6th August 2015 - 8:39am

I know someone who was going to Bid on the Variant, but He isn't jumping up & Down shouting about it, so I'm guessing He wasn't successful!

Editor

Post by Editor » 6th August 2015 - 11:35am

That's a decent price for such a low mileage and condition - it would cost at least that for a well-used example to be restored professionally. The bits that Roy removed from it when he found a part in even better condition eventually would appear on the club stand at Stanford Hall and Malvern - not too far for him from Wolverhampton, though I don't think the car itself got out much, apart from the shows, and I think it sold before the calendar came out for 2000 - the millennium, not the price, which I think was around £6,000. So in 15 years of storage it's probably not increased much in real terms.
Dave.