A quick Ident Question

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
purplepeter

A quick Ident Question

Post by purplepeter » 10th August 2015 - 5:37pm

Picked this up at Beachbuggin Yesterday.. Please can someone say if it's Type 3?? or Baywindow??

The guy had other Type 3 goodies, so I'm hopeful!
He had this as well...

Editor

Re: A quick Ident Question

Post by Editor » 11th August 2015 - 2:34am

The Bay has a smaller diameter I'd say, and a straight cut outlet.
I've a big bore version of that one with the outlet angled - ie not the normal 90 degree tailpipe. I think it's a Swedish spec to stop it getting plugged when you reverse into a snow bank.
Dave.

vwed

Post by vwed » 12th August 2015 - 12:37pm

Definitely not a Bay part - in addition to what Dave says the Bay tail pipe was right angled and did not have a bracket tab.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 12th August 2015 - 2:03pm

Jolly Good! Thanks Gents!
Spanner is Now cleaned up. Can't really see any discernible makers mark unfortunately

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 14th August 2015 - 7:53am

The tailpipe is the sock 61 - 71 part & getting very hard to locate now - A good find.
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

Editor

Post by Editor » 16th August 2015 - 10:28am

It's not the usual 90-degree one but the M62 spec for Sweden, with some other oddities. Still works though!

Any progress on a normal spec tailpipe but in S/S? I reckon it would be well worth getting some made up. What kind of money? The club might be able to fund a small run.
Dave.

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 17th August 2015 - 10:40am

As far as I know all the small bore are like that - if not everyone I've seen and the 20 or so that must have passed through my hands have been slash cut just like Peters.
There was a chrome trim fitted to some models that has a straight end.

As far as the repros, I've modeled up the parts and a welding jig on CAD, but that's has far as its got I'm afraid.
I did enquire about getting some bends, but its an odd diameter (these days) and not everyone can match the bend radius as most people want something much tighter, so there's nothing off the shelf.
The problem is getting it all done at a price people will pay. I was looking at mild steel to begin with as I can weld them myself and keep the cost down.
They don't rust like the main box does, and there are plenty of things that can be done to keep them looking fresh.
I will pick it up again... I've been off work, but now I'm back I have more time!
Mike

Editor

Post by Editor » 18th August 2015 - 12:48am

The difference I meant was in the bend angle - the photo Peter posted was a bend angle of about 135 degrees included. The usual stock one has a 90 degree bend. They both have the slash cut outlet, which does look neater than a straight cut.

Maybe a tube with a bit bigger bore would be OK, and it has to be belled out to match the ring that sleeves over the damper pipe. As that is clamped on, the fit might not be too critical. Would a pipe that fits the damper pipe without needing a sleeve welded on be unreasonably wide? If the bending worked, it would only need a bracket for the bolt welded on.

I reckon I get through twice as many tail-pipes as damper pipes. Depending how much bodging up of the silencer box I do (quite a lot usually!) I probably need a damper pipe every silencer change. A decent silencer lasts me maybe 10 years with the light use I give them.
Dave.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 18th August 2015 - 9:08am

Obviously, as You both know, I've got no use for this tailpipe, so it's destined for one of You

In the meantime I might as well ask around to see if any of my local engineering places could knock some up... What would You think was the maximum people might pay? £15??

Editor

Post by Editor » 18th August 2015 - 10:28am

Sounds about right, when you need one!
Dave.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 18th August 2015 - 11:02am

(obviously without treading on Mikes toes!)

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 18th August 2015 - 1:19pm

Sorry, I didn't pick up on that Dave - worth knowing.
I have a new one for every car I currently own, plus a spare I think. I usually get all my exhaust components aluminum sprayed (Grit blast then sprayed with molten aluminum), so basically for the mileage I do they should last me out - a quick waft of high temp primer and they look fresh again.

I was looking at getting them done in the stock diameter (1 & 3/8" - from memory), but agreed 1/8" bigger shouldn't be that noticeable.

We don't get much done for £15 where I am, but if you can cost them in for that, brilliant!
Quotes I've had for the bends have been more than that, but see how you get on.
I have drawings if you need them.
Mike

mjrpoulton

Post by mjrpoulton » 18th August 2015 - 6:13pm

I have to agree with Mike, I would be very surprised if you could get much done for £15 in the UK! Those days I fear are long gone!

A length of SS pipe bent through 90 degrees, one end slash cut, the other end swaged to slip over the damper pipe and a fixing bracket welded on, I would certainly buy a few at £15 but if a number could be knocked out for say £30 in rust free stainless who wouldn't at the higher cost- it would outlast the box!

The cost of the exhaust box seems to be going up as well looking at what our continental chums are asking!

How many to make-20?30?

Mark
Mark
1975 412LS Variant (built 9/73)
1972 411LE 2 door
1968 type 345 auto
1967 type 344
1972 type 145KG (type3 engine)