My doors are full of water! What car cover fits?

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
71 London fasty

My doors are full of water! What car cover fits?

Post by 71 London fasty » 22nd February 2007 - 12:42pm

Hi all, just bought a 71 fastback :D so thought I should join the rest of you clever people! Worryingly I heard the slosh of water coming from the passenger door yesterday :( . I checked out the door and there is no drainage hole to allow any water out that gets in. I'm contemplating drilling a small whole to drain the water and save the door. Is this a drastic measure? Am I panicking? If anyone's dealt with this I'd love to hear from you. Also does anyone know of a good waterproof car cover that fits a fastback. Best wishes, Fraser.
smarter than a porsche

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 22nd February 2007 - 1:24pm

Welcome to the clan!!

Door drains are there..open the door,on the bottom edge at each corner,if you peel back the door seal,youll find them-a bit of mig wire might do the trick!

problem is likely to be that the window scraper rubbers have perished-temporary solution is to carefully put a strip of duck tape accross the bottom of the window,but it does mean you cant open window!!-dont get the tape on your paintwork though.

obviously youll need to remove carpets/mats to dry out the interior

homebase sell dehumidifiers at£6.99,that work quite well-you just have to remember to keep them upright,otherwise you drive off and the thing falls over,sploshing all the trapped water all over your floor!!

the longterm solution is to replace the rubbers-trawl back thru previous posts on the subject!

enjoy!!

Danny Lord

Post by Danny Lord » 22nd February 2007 - 1:28pm

Welcome! Argos sell fairly good car covers from about £20 upwards.

71 London fasty

Post by 71 London fasty » 22nd February 2007 - 4:33pm

Wow! You guys are quick! Thanks for your help. I've located the drainage holes and think I've cleared them. Just in case this doesn't get rid of the sound :? are there any other areas I should check out that collect water?
I hope I don't end up asking a million questions. There's just so much to learn ;) . Thanks again for the info and the warm welcome.
smarter than a porsche

Editor

Post by Editor » 23rd February 2007 - 2:24am

The outer sills themselves can hold water - particularly if they have had Waxoyl put inside (a good idea!). Try unscrewing the 10mm screw that fixes the back bottom corner of the front wing. Might be worth inspecting for rust in the area before you get the screw out and can't get it to go back.

It shouldn't leak, but if the rear end of the heater channel rots out (not always obvious behind the underseal) water can get in via the air louvres and gaps in hardened sealant.

As long as the door drains are kept clear, some leaking from the window scrapers isn't a big problem.

GrahamM

Car Cover

Post by GrahamM » 23rd February 2007 - 10:36pm

Try this lot for a cover www.car-cover-uk.com I have had a quote for my Golf but I think I got the cover for my fastback from them about 8 years ago. Worth checking out and the response is good and quick.

Graham

71 London fasty

Post by 71 London fasty » 26th February 2007 - 10:57pm

Hi again, and thanks for all your help. Argos supplied the cover, £24 and fits like a glove. After much tinkering I've discovered that the water seems to be coming in from the point where the rear wing fits the body. From here it pools under the rear seat, but also seems to get into the heater channel, hence the sound of water 'sploshing' when I brake, accelerate, or corner. I've managed to dry it out a lot but not completely yet. Think the cover was a good idea though. Another little unrelated discovery that I'm sure you all know about is STP Fuel Treatment. You add it to a full tank of petrol and it cleans the carbs and fuel injectors. Very cool. My engine was running jerkily after my mechanic had reinstated my previously nonworking 2nd carb. The treatment seems to have sorted it right out and now it's running great, just a little backfiring when cold. Just wanted to try and give a little back. Thanks all. ;)
smarter than a porsche

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th February 2007 - 11:25am

Try to get a look behind the regulator - if there's a rusty corner, the water is probably making holes in your inner wing, between the factory underseal and the wheel well. Any slight bulge in the underseal is a give-away for rust. Better to find it and stop it than hope it heals itself!

When you use carb cleaner on stains that have been left behind in the carb, you realise that petrol isn't as good a solvent as you thought! A bit of help from a more poweful solvent is handy for removing gum and ensuring the fine passages in the carb are allowing air and fuel to flow freely.
So thanks for the reminder - always happy to get something back!