about to join the club!?

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
vweddy69

about to join the club!?

Post by vweddy69 » 29th October 2015 - 12:15pm

Hi there,

We are about to join the club and buy a VW Square back. Will be a huge learning curve having only had our camper for 3 yrs, we are adding to the collection as we can not part with our bay. Does anyone use their T3 as a daily drive? To make room and fund the purchase either my car or my wifes has to go. Do we keep my wifes small car or my suv style car. Thanks in advance and already looking forward to a VW event where we take the T3 Square.
Tony

VW 1970 Square
VW 1970 T2 Campervan
1980 (ish) Eriba Puck
(Yucky renault for normal day driving.)

miketyp3

Re: about to join the club!?

Post by miketyp3 » 30th October 2015 - 8:27am

Welcome to the group Eddy.
Personally I have not used a Type 3 on a daily basis for a long time, but there was a time when one was my only car - one that worked anyway!
I believe there's a few on here that use their Type 3's all thorough the summer, but pack them away over the winter & I think we have a Type 4 daily driver - they will have more up to date experience of what its like.

The main thing to remember (and I'm sure you realise this) its not fill up and forget motoring...
Servicing needs to be done more often and maintenance needs to kept on top of. Parts will wear out more quickly and need replacing, so you will have to budget for that.
Bodywork will also deteriorate quickly if driven on salted roads and left.

Unless your wife shares your passion, I would suggest keeping her car - You will lose the use of yours in any case!
Maybe its worth thinking about a cheap "banger" for winter use - you may actually save you money.
It also means "technically" you can run the Type 3 on a classic insurance policy as you will have use of another car.

You haven't said if you have already purchased your Squareback, if so it would be interesting to see.

All the best
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

vweddy69

Post by vweddy69 » 30th October 2015 - 10:20pm

Hi Mike,

Small world, we are just down the road as we are also from Northamptonshire. Are you in any of the local VW clubs, we meet up with the KUDC monthly.

We have decided to keep the Renault as our winter car, there is a reason our VW camper stays dry all winter and guess we need to treat the T3 in the same way. Just have to decide if our caravan (Eriba Puck) comes out of the garage to make way for the car now.

Its roughly the same engine in the camper as it is in the car (i think) so we will service in the same way. We currently use DGs in Wellingborough along with my tinkering!

Luckily this is a mid life crisis shared with my wife so she doesn't mind that we no longer have any savings!

"Our" Squareback is currently on route from the States as it is being imported from California. Will be confirming the full spec once it is here as it will be subject to final inspection and agreed works.

Will post a picture once i figure out how!

Many thanks,

Tony
Tony

VW 1970 Square
VW 1970 T2 Campervan
1980 (ish) Eriba Puck

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 2nd November 2015 - 8:32am

Sorry Tony, so who's eddy?

I've been around Northampton for about 13 years, but never got into the local scene. I think I went once to a Northampton club meet. I can't remember what they were called, but they met at six fields at the time.
I'm not sure why I didn't go back.
I know a couple of VW people in town, I see quite a few Bugs and Busses and there was even a Type 3 on the next street once.
I presume you are Kettering based... I'm often over that way so drop me a line if you need anything - parts, advice or sympathy!

The car sounds exciting, can't wait to see it in pictures or cruising by...

Mike
Mike

Wireless

Post by Wireless » 15th November 2015 - 11:22pm

I've used my Squareback as a daily drive since I got it back on the road in December 2012...
73 de Wayne M5WJF

'73 Type 4 412 LS Variant (UK Reg '74)

vweddy69

Post by vweddy69 » 22nd November 2015 - 3:34pm

can't work out this photo thing, our car reaches the uk next week. So far we have decided it will be called Memphis!
Tony

VW 1970 Square
VW 1970 T2 Campervan
1980 (ish) Eriba Puck

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 23rd November 2015 - 6:24pm

Mike

vweddy69

Post by vweddy69 » 23rd November 2015 - 11:48pm

Read that, my trouble is using a mini tablet rather than the dusty pc sat upstairs in the study. Will have a go at the weekend. Although have never used flicker or such. Feeling like a real tech phob.
Tony

VW 1970 Square
VW 1970 T2 Campervan
1980 (ish) Eriba Puck

vweddy69

Post by vweddy69 » 20th December 2015 - 9:10am

Have shared a couple of photos on facebook (if thats not a dirty word here!). Will try and copy a link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ai75pbaiou3ca ... 4.jpg?dl=0
Tony

VW 1970 Square
VW 1970 T2 Campervan
1980 (ish) Eriba Puck