New owner advice

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
Kevster69

New owner advice

Post by Kevster69 » 7th December 2015 - 7:11am

Hi, I currently own a late bay, which I love, but I've always wanted either a square or a notch back. So I'm on the verge of putting the bay up for sale to finance buying a Type 3, was just after some advice really from current owners. What to look out for. What I should be checking, any other good sites apart from here and samba to look at ones fro sale? And advice would be more than welcome , thank

miketyp3

Re: New owner advice

Post by miketyp3 » 8th December 2015 - 12:49pm

Hi & Welcome

You could start by looking at this http://www.vwtype3and4club.org.uk/_docs ... eType3.htm
Rust is probably the biggest issue for UK cars, hence why imports are popular (although they can come with other issues).
Also I'm sure you are already aware that Type 3 parts availability is nowhere near as good as it is for Type 2.

Most general service items for mid 60's and later cars are shared with other models, but a lot of the bodywork, interior, some suspension items and even some engine parts are only available through the second hand market.

Its a situation that is getting better, but it's a long way off what you'll be used to. Also what parts they are tend to be produced in small numbers so are usually more expensive.
What I'm saying is buy the best you can find / afford and be aware of anything that's missing - some bits are almost unobtainable.

Having said that, they are great cars to own and drive.

Let us know how you get on and if you need any more advice.

Cheers
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

Wireless

Re: New owner advice

Post by Wireless » 13th April 2016 - 1:10pm

Don't sell anything, just keep adding to the fleet...
73 de Wayne M5WJF

'73 Type 4 412 LS Variant (UK Reg '74)