Towbar & Cover

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
vweddy69

Towbar & Cover

Post by vweddy69 » 20th December 2015 - 8:57am

Hi All,

We are looking out for a towbar for ou 1970 LHD Square, any advice on where to pick one up from?

Also looking for a cover, was going to start with one from Halfords, but again advice welcome.

Many thanks,
Tony

VW 1970 Square
VW 1970 T2 Campervan
1980 (ish) Eriba Puck
(Yucky renault for normal day driving.)

Editor

Re: Towbar & Cover

Post by Editor » 22nd December 2015 - 1:35pm

Type 3 Towbars come in two basic forms - they both use the rear bumper mountings, but the UK version has two tubular arms that also mount to the inner wing in the wheel arch. Both also fit through the rear apron to backing plates. The UK one (supplied by Dixon Bate) goes under the engine, so needs removing if you want to remove the engine, but that's not all that often needed!

You need to check your bumper mountings and panel behind are properly sound. The bolts will need to be replaced with ones a bit longer. If they've not been removed over the years, it is highly likely they will be rusted in.
Dave.

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 22nd December 2015 - 2:30pm

Hi,
I have a late Westfailia tow bar. It needs a plate for the electric socket reinstating, but apart from that is in good condition.
It only has fixings to the bumper mounts, but I used to tow a Pan on a similar tow bar.
Anyway, let me know if its of any interest.

Also, I use the Halfords cover and find it very good.
Its currently on its second winter and I can't say the cover has deteriorated at all.
I think I had the large which is actually bit roomy, but there's 3 straps which keep it nice and snug.
Mine is a Fastback, so it would probably fit a Square better.
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

vweddy69

Post by vweddy69 » 23rd December 2015 - 9:25am

Thanks Mike,

Would be interested in the tow bar, easy to pick up a plate. Does it have the electric connections?

Not long until we get this car home now and looking forward to getting out and about.
Tony

VW 1970 Square
VW 1970 T2 Campervan
1980 (ish) Eriba Puck
(Yucky renault for normal day driving.)

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 23rd December 2015 - 1:41pm

No, it has nothing.
Its the swan neck type, it should have a bracket welded to the bar to hold the socket on, but it's come off and I don't have it.
That's how I got it.
If you give me your email I'll send some pictures - you can see what I mean then.
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

Wireless

Post by Wireless » 2nd February 2016 - 4:35pm

Mine's a rare early Norwegian Tow Bar, had to modify the Europa bumper to fit, but the tow bar extends the bumper brackets, fitting in between and becoming a part of the existing through bodywork bracket that supports the bumper. I looks very much like a Westfalia but obviously isn't, and is unusual in that the extensions to the bumper bracket reach forward and sandwich between the rear engine mount body brackets, the engine mount itself and use the bolts that secure the engine mounting to the body brackets. This is in addition to using the bumper mounting bolts, so quite unusual in its design.
73 de Wayne M5WJF

'73 Type 4 412 LS Variant (UK Reg '74)