Front beam

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
spannerman526

Front beam

Post by spannerman526 » 5th January 2016 - 2:34pm

Ok question number 2. If I grab the front wheels top and bottom and rock them there is play which I assumed was wheel bearings ect. But when I looked further I found the top arms to be moving in and out a little in the top beam. As I am new to this type of suspension and I don't want to dive in and wreck something, any pointers what's required. Ie work and parts required. Will also want to lower it and I understand its quite simple to do. Normally I dive in but have done things wrong before and after the amazingly quick and accurate response to my post the other day I am happy seeking help on this excellent forum. Many thanks, Alvey .

Chino

Re: Front beam

Post by Chino » 5th January 2016 - 2:52pm

I've had the top arm-play issue myself. More often than not it's the stabiliser bar that needs adjusting in the top of the beam. Have a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7442&hilit=front+beam

Dave (Editor), gives a good description, there are also instructions for the adjustment in the Autobooks, Bentley and Haynes manuals for the adjustment. Hopefully it's just that, as the bushings themselves are like hens teeth. I was offered a set a while back for 300euros....

Editor

Re: Front beam

Post by Editor » 5th January 2016 - 11:58pm

Sounds like the common problem and it's usually just an adjustment needed. It's caused either by gradual wear in the plastic thrust ring, or sometimes by the locking screw enlarging the dimple it sits in on the anti-roll bar.
Make sure you grease the front beam - there are 4 points, one each end of each tube. The lower two and one upper are obvious, but the fourth is a bit hidden.

Thanks for the nice comment - we've a very knowledgeable and helpful membership.
Dave.