Newbie advice please

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
jayvanman

Newbie advice please

Post by jayvanman » 9th January 2016 - 9:20am

Hello one and all.

I am new to the type 3 community but not VW's.
About 8 years ago I got seduced into the splitscreen world and I am just finishing my "keeper".

I have had my eyes on the squarebacks for a while and I think I have found something of interest in America.

I'm pretty much there with the deal and the seller informs me that the car is solid, it looks solid, but I have asked him if he'll take some more photo's for me.

so could someone tell me if there are any area's that are prone to rust that I should be asking a photo of.

also when it comes here I am assuming it will need new headlights and amber indicators ? can anybody point me in the direction where i can buy these ? or is it the usual suspencts - vw hertigage, CnC etc or are there better deals out there ?

I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Jason

Danny Lord

Re: Newbie advice please

Post by Danny Lord » 9th January 2016 - 11:05am

Welcome to the forum :)

Good place to start is here for more info on what to look out for.......

viewforum.php?f=41
Got a Notch? www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/

Editor

Post by Editor » 9th January 2016 - 12:24pm

USA cars from 'dry' states are usually solid; those from East coast States can be rusty if they've been used through the winter. There's a lot of salt spread there. Depending on how it has been looked after, the interior and plastic parts may have suffered from sun damage, but that can apply to UK cars too. USA cars have often gone round the clock once, and occasionally more, so don't assume 50,000 miles (or whatever) is first time round.

If the metal under the rear seats is good and hasn't been repaired, that's a good sign, as is the area to the sides of the front luggage compartment. Bumper mounts front and rear are also a good guide to the solidity.

USA trim spec is generally higher than was usual for the UK market. Fuel Injection was fitted from '69 models, and many from then are also automatics - no specific concerns there, but some are happier with carbs and manual transmission.
You will need to swap the headlights and change the rear lenses for amber flashers to pass an MoT, as you mention. I can't think of anything else that needs changing. I believe you can keep the USA headlamp rims, and use the '74-ish UK units as fitted to early Golfs - my '74 Camper had them too. You just remove the rim to adjust the beam. The price of decent Type 3 headlamp units with the two adjusting screws in the rim is climbing.
Dave.

vwed

Post by vwed » 9th January 2016 - 12:50pm

I have this complete unused unit available @ £75. Usual suspects sell them for £100 plus. Suitable for Type 3.