type 3 fastback valuation please

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
dredgy

type 3 fastback valuation please

Post by dredgy » 29th January 2016 - 7:12pm

Hello, its been a while since my last post due to not having a type 3, however this may change due to a 68 fastback coming up and need to know a value please.

So before I list more details of the car can someone please point me in the right direction or is there a club member who can help.

thank you
Now: 72 fastback, B5 RS4

Gone: fastback 72 73 68 and another 72

Kai

Re: type 3 fastback valuation please

Post by Kai » 29th January 2016 - 7:43pm

Most type 3's sell for £3-4K regardless of condition but expect to pay £8k for a top one unless they become priceless when you own a mongrel like mine.

Have you been to the "no name dub club"?

The used to meet at the Brewers Fayre out near bird world. It's every Friday they meet up. The Facebook page states it's out near Petersfield though.

Been meaning to go myself however like this evening and the large majority of the previous Friday evenings im working again so haven't actually made it yet myself. One evening though and I'll actually make it there in a dub if I do go :)

Editor

Post by Editor » 30th January 2016 - 2:48am

This really is guessing the length of a 'piece of string'.
I agree with Kai that a running Fastback with recent MoT and decently tidy body should be in that area. If you're competent at bodywork and rust repairs, and will be doing it yourself, you can take on a project, which could be more like £1000 to £1500 depending on how much work is needed. There will always be more work than expected!
There's not much a competent enthusiast can't tackle with these cars, and you will learn a lot by doing it.
Dave.

dredgy

Post by dredgy » 30th January 2016 - 8:35am

Thank you, have a few more details now

It's 2 owner car and 170,000 miles have been covered, no work required. Only a minor point on last MOT.
Last edited by dredgy on 30th January 2016 - 12:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now: 72 fastback, B5 RS4

Gone: fastback 72 73 68 and another 72

Editor

Post by Editor » 30th January 2016 - 11:46am

OK, sounds a decent car. Check the inner wings under the bonnet - they are very prone to corrosion, as are front and rear bumper mount areas. Check under the back seat in the corners, and the battery area. While under there, note the chassis number on the spine matches the chassis plate on the cross member.

There are lots of other areas where rust may be found, but it's usually fairly obvious if a car is a rust bucket. It's not that the rust can't be sorted, but it costs time, which can be its own reward if you do it, and costs money if you are paying someone else.

There's a Type 3 buyers guide on the site, written several years ago but still valid.

http://www.vwtype3and4club.org.uk/_docs ... eType3.htm
Dave.