VW type 3 service manual in pdf?

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
sima112

VW type 3 service manual in pdf?

Post by sima112 » 15th April 2016 - 6:26pm

Hi guys, newbie here,
wondering if anyone could share a service manual for 1971 vw type 3 in pdf ?

many thanks
sima

Editor

Re: VW type 3 service manual in pdf?

Post by Editor » 16th April 2016 - 12:37am

The Haynes one is available as a book from about £5 or so secondhand or maybe less at a show. I don't know of any pdf versions.
Dave.

sima112

Post by sima112 » 26th April 2016 - 1:15am

Thank you Dave,
but im currently located in Colombia, so it is out of reach for me now :)

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th April 2016 - 1:48am

That's awkward! If there are particular systems you need help for, I can scan a few pages to help, but I can't scan a whole book, particularly ones that are still in print. Sorry.
Dave.

sima112

Post by sima112 » 30th April 2016 - 3:37pm

Very kind of you Dave,
just if its not many pages of course. Dont want to bother you. Its a car of my father in law. Having problem with starts after had been sitting for a few days.
i would like to check out the fuel system, looks like its slowly returning to the tank or something. Suspecting fuel pump but wanna know what else its on the fuel line.
Want to start checking little thinks first.
let me know pls if its not too big thing to scan.
Many thanks Sima

Editor

Post by Editor » 30th April 2016 - 10:31pm

What engine? Fuel injection or twin carb? Carbs can evaporate the fuel from the float chamber particularly in hot weather. What symptoms are there and what have you tried? Does it try to start if you put a little fuel in the carb throat? We need to narrow it down a bit.
Dave.

sima112

Post by sima112 » 30th April 2016 - 11:28pm

Hi Dave Thank you,
It is a twin carb. If it doesn't run for few days, (4,5) i need to turn the key repeatedly and play up with the accelerator. it takes 6-8 times before she starts. Following starts works without a problem for the firs time. Last time i had also problem when it stayed for 4 hours. So it might be getting worst.
Only think we tried was what you suggesting: putting the fuel into the throat. And it had started well.
Here are temperatures around 20-25 degrees and the car had started well before. Not sure how long for my father in law have been having problems with it, but i will ask.
Thanks again for your help
Sima

Editor

Post by Editor » 2nd May 2016 - 12:14pm

That's how I have to do it too, when I've not started it for a few weeks. It sounds as if the ignition system is all fine, just the float chambers are having to be refilled before it will start. If the fuel tank is low, that won't help, and having to run the starter more will run the battery down if you only do short journeys.
If it runs well once it starts, I don't think there can be any blockage in the fuel system. The pump has a non-return valve in it, which might not be doing its job, I suppose, and allowing fuel to drain from the pipes.
Dave.

sima112

Post by sima112 » 3rd May 2016 - 2:53pm

Hi Dave,
Thank you for the additional info. After few weeks would not be a problem, but this is too quick. The return valve is what i had suspected at the beginning. I thought it would be somewhere on the line separately. That brings me to question: Would you think, that if i put some non return valve on the line, would work and solved the problem? And if YES, where would you place it? Just before the fuel pump? I assume if that would work, would also have confirmed your guess about the pump valve not working correctly. It would be the fastest and cheapest solution, though?
The car has an oil leak, so we will get to dismantling anyway at some point. i am thinking that would be good to know it before so i will have ready some rebuild kit for the pump when the time comes.
Thank you Sima

Editor

Post by Editor » 5th May 2016 - 2:53am

I've not heard of external non-return valves being used. Easy enough to try I suppose, but it might alter the flow rate or pressure.
Early twin carbs did have a valve where the fuel splits to each carb, but it wasn't fitted after the '65 models.
The fuel pump design has it integral in the upper part - maybe that's gummed up.
Dave.

sima112

Post by sima112 » 5th May 2016 - 3:49am

update: i have found another fuel pump here in the garage. It is used, but looks in good shape. Unfortunately it is the NON famous brazilian Brazol one. I will have to ask where is it coming from and the condition of it and will try to replace it. Hope i will find the original german one inside and will looking for some kit for it.
From the look of the pump mounting i assume it is not difficult operation? Is there anything i should be careful on?
Many Thanks Sima

sima112

Post by sima112 » 5th May 2016 - 4:02am

just found your post. Thanks Dave!
Yes, i was also wandering if using the external valve does not change the pressure. Now when i have another pump, i will right away take the current pump out and check it, if i found what could be wrong. In case something goes wrong i still have the other second hand one. (well, if its not too crappy as well)
Is there any way how to try out the functionality, before i fit it in?
Thank you Sima

Editor

Post by Editor » 5th May 2016 - 12:08pm

It's not much of a job to swap the pump - hardly worth trying to rig up a way to test it. Try not to damage the gasket, or be ready to make or find another. There were plenty of VWs in Brazil, and they seemed to run even with Brosol carbs and pumps! I'm sure the German ones were higher quality, and certainly you wouldn't throw it out in case you needed it later.
Dave.

sima112

Post by sima112 » 10th May 2016 - 7:24pm

Thank you very much Dave. Thats a good point. Here, in south america must be thousands of cars running with brosol pumps. Ive checked which one is inside and its also brosol. so i will leave it for now and try to find out if it can be reconditioned. And find the repair kit if yes. I will update in time if it will have fixed the starting problems.
Sima

Editor

Post by Editor » 11th May 2016 - 2:09am

Hi Sima, I've found a reference to some online VW Type 3 Service manuals here:-

http://www.type3wiki.com/index.php?titl ... ce_Manuals

They may be some help, even if there are things not covered. I thought VW separated the sections in 1972, but here the 1965 Volume 1 has been separated out. Volume 2 is electrical and bodywork.
I looked at rear axle, and it's only swing axle. Also, it gave an error message, so it may not be at all useful!
Dave.

sima112

Post by sima112 » 11th May 2016 - 5:54pm

Thank you Dave a lot, i will try to dig something out of it
Sima