Type 3 ball joint size

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
notch67

Type 3 ball joint size

Post by notch67 » 23rd July 2016 - 5:51pm

HELP
ordered ball joint covers from cool air in preparation of my MOT only to find that the covers they sent are two small.
looking at all the parts suppliers sites I can only see one size .
the ones supplied have T1+T25 / 1302 listed . have they sent the wrong covers or do some type threes have large ball joints ?

eagle

Re: Type 3 ball joint size

Post by eagle » 24th July 2016 - 6:04pm

Yes they are larger. I have some second hand ones if you need them. I might have a bit of lock wire as well. You can also find them on a well known site using " type 3 ball joint cover". You'll need the large size.
Whilst under the front give the beam a good grease and if need be replace all of the covers.
Take note of the ball joint position and orientation, lots of pictures. You may need the tracking redone.

notch67

Post by notch67 » 25th July 2016 - 3:58pm

Thanks been on to cool air this morning , they picked the wrong parts so going to send the correct ones today

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th July 2016 - 11:23am

Do make sure you tension the torsion arms together before undoing the clamp bolts or you will ruin the threads, and they are a special Type 3 part. If they are already ruined you need HT M10 bolts long enough to get the same shoulder length, which is longer than the standard 40mm long bolt has, and cut off the extra thread.
Dave.