Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
937carrera

MOT Changes, May 2018

Post by 937carrera » 6th March 2018 - 11:45pm

There's a new regime in place from May 20th:

Different categorisation of failure types
Tougher tests on diesels
MOT exemption for historic vehicles over 40 years old

Lots of small print, and you can still choose to have an MOT carried out.

All our vehicles will now potentially be exempt from MOT,the same as tax :)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -draft.pdf
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

broady_6

Re: MOT Changes, May 2018

Post by broady_6 » 7th March 2018 - 8:11am

BUT they have been very cunning and followed that one through with another a proposed that any vehicle with a different engine to the original fitment will have to comply with current emission legislation and not the legislation to which the engine was designed to meet! (im not sure how they will tell if you dont take it for an MOT) But it responded to the proposal telling them to get after some real producers of pollution and not 0.000001% of cars that are occasionally used on the road.

I will likely still take mine for test just to get it thrown at the rollers for a brake check :D
The sultan of swing

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 7th March 2018 - 6:40pm

I've been advised by my insurance company that they will still require a valid MOT if the vehicle is non-stock.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 7th March 2018 - 9:14pm

sparkywig wrote:
7th March 2018 - 6:40pm
I've been advised by my insurance company that they will still require a valid MOT if the vehicle is non-stock.
But who defines non stock? Adding a 12v socket? CD player, 944 brakes or different seat upholstery?

Its a grey area at the moment and im sure we can use that to our advantage.
Who provides your insurance? Just out of interest?
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 7th March 2018 - 9:22pm

sparkywig wrote:
Sometimes it's better not to ask.......... better to read the policy wording, still uberrimae fidei ;)
broady_6 wrote:
7th March 2018 - 8:11am
I will likely still take mine for test just to get it thrown at the rollers for a brake check :D
Don't know how many cars you take to your MOT man but if that's all you need surely he'll just put it on the rollers for you -they're not linked to the DVLA (yet)
David
1974 412LS Variant

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 7th March 2018 - 9:34pm

937carrera wrote:
7th March 2018 - 9:22pm

broady_6 wrote:
7th March 2018 - 8:11am
Don't know how many cars you take to your MOT man but if that's all you need surely he'll just put it on the rollers for you -they're not linked to the DVLA (yet)
You're indeed correct, I take about 10 a year in, im sure a fiver in the tea fund gesture will take care of it, he has just been forced to upgrade to have the gas analyser linked via the internet last month another great shame.

I dont really doubt my brakes often, but they're the only thing that a functional check will highlight an imbalance, when isn't always safe to stamp on the pedal on the side roads.

When I finally get this car finished I shall en-devour to head your way for a yarn, you seem an interesting and wise head
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 7th March 2018 - 9:37pm

broady_6 wrote:
7th March 2018 - 9:34pm
When I finally get this car finished I shall en-devour to head your way for a yarn, you seem an interesting and wise head
Cheers- same for you, you're welcome for a cuppa anytime
David
1974 412LS Variant

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 7th March 2018 - 9:43pm

937carrera wrote:
7th March 2018 - 9:37pm
broady_6 wrote:
7th March 2018 - 9:34pm
Cheers- same for you, you're welcome for a cuppa anytime
Ta very much, if anyone reals classic car weekly, the maxi I prepared made it into the pomeroy review! :D and it didnt blow up
The sultan of swing

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 7th March 2018 - 10:08pm

broady_6 wrote:
7th March 2018 - 9:14pm
sparkywig wrote:
But who defines non stock? Adding a 12v socket? CD player, 944 brakes or different seat upholstery?

Its a grey area at the moment and im sure we can use that to our advantage.
Who provides your insurance? Just out of interest?
Any declared modifications at their underwriter's discretion.
I'm insured with RH and Cherished, but it's up to their underwriting companies as to what they require.
All my vehicles will still be submitted for an annual MOT. The cost is worth the peace of mind.
I know that they are only the condition of the vehicle on the day of test, but will show any brake imbalance, etc and things that may get missed.

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th March 2018 - 12:33pm

It's usually fairly obvious if your brakes aren't working evenly - try some gentle braking and more fierce and see how it affects the steering. It used to be reassuring as those dials rose evenly, and highlighted the difference in front and rear braking force, but now it all goes into the laptop, it's not as satisfying as those big dials!
Dave.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 27th March 2018 - 10:24pm

The place I use doesn't have dial but its still a big digital read out with a pair of coloured bars along the bottom filling in as the force increases that you can see as they do the tests. Bit out the way for yourself though
The sultan of swing

Kai

Post by Kai » 21st May 2018 - 2:11pm

Anybody going for his then? Been reading up on it and even for mine I recon I could qualify..

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 21st May 2018 - 2:20pm

What do we go for? As of yesterday any car manufactured more than 40 years ago is on a winner if they meet the 8 point system criteria. So mine is not tax and test free :D
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 21st May 2018 - 4:00pm

"not tax and test free"

I think it is :?:
David
1974 412LS Variant

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 21st May 2018 - 5:34pm

I reckon the square would be OK, as any modifications fall into the following categories;
Lowering - axles and running gear, specifically alterations to the type/method of suspension or steering.
Brakes & gearbox - changes made to axles and running gear in order to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance.
Stroker engine - engine changes, although merely changing the cubic capacities of the same basic engine type and configuration will be fine.

But I'll still get it tested annually, I really can't see the point of going MOT exempt, you're only saving the test fee.
And you have a certificate of roadworthiness if the worst happens....

JSR-69

Post by JSR-69 » 22nd May 2018 - 11:33am

This is a potential minefield! On Sunday I retaxed my KG and, after the system couldn't find a current MoT, it said that since the car was more than 40 years old, it might be eligible for MoT Exemption. If I believed that it was substantially original then I just had to tick the box and - hey presto - tax issued.

So it's down to folks' honesty to declare their vehicle is roadworthy and sufficiently original. In theory I could now go back to the website and tax my Beetle which is quietly rusting away on my drive :( by declaring it as in original condition.

OK, if I got stopped the police would look at it and immediately impound it and charge me but I can't remember when I last saw a police patrol around here. Of course, if I had an accident, my insurance company would probably call for a report on its condition and refuse any claim.

I can imagine a surge in prices for used cars over 40 years old that are now taxable without an MoT, which would ordinarily be refused.

Judi
Judi R
1963 Beetle (awaiting restoration)
1972 Karmann Ghia (sold)
1972 412 Variant Auto
1974 412 5-door Variant project

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 22nd May 2018 - 7:31pm

JSR-69 wrote:
22nd May 2018 - 11:33am
This is a potential minefield! On Sunday I retaxed my KG and, after the system couldn't find a current MoT, it said that since the car was more than 40 years old, it might be eligible for MoT Exemption. If I believed that it was substantially original then I just had to tick the box and - hey presto - tax issued.

So it's down to folks' honesty to declare their vehicle is roadworthy and sufficiently original. In theory I could now go back to the website and tax my Beetle which is quietly rusting away on my drive :( by declaring it as in original condition.

OK, if I got stopped the police would look at it and immediately impound it and charge me but I can't remember when I last saw a police patrol around here. Of course, if I had an accident, my insurance company would probably call for a report on its condition and refuse any claim.

I can imagine a surge in prices for used cars over 40 years old that are now taxable without an MoT, which would ordinarily be refused.

Judi
Its a case of risk vs reward. Id guess not only would your insurer refuse to pay out. You would very likely be charged with driving and unsafe vehicle. Which comes with a driving ban.

Using a vehicle in a dangerous condition LGV or PCV Fine unlimited, other vehicles £2,500/ Obligatory disqualification if offence committed within 3 years of a previous conviction for a similar offence - 6 months min. Otherwise discretionary

As you vehicle wasn't fit for the road then id argue this applies.

Driving without insurance Unlimited fine / Discretionary disqualification

And it could even be argued.

Failure to have proper control of vehicle or full view of the road and traffic ahead £1,000 fine (£2,500 for PCV or goods vehicle) / Discretionary disqualification

If your car was unsafe say because of a dodgy brake then you wouldn't have proper control. And then obviously if the worst happened and you killed someone as a result then you'd be spending some time at her Majestys pleasure. but obviously thats not specific to not having an MOT
The sultan of swing