Taking Suspension back to factory

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
jake@facewest.co.uk

Taking Suspension back to factory

Post by jake@facewest.co.uk » 25th May 2018 - 8:02pm

Hi,

New member here, hi everyone. I've just purchased a great 71 Fastback. It was Chino's old one.

I've got a ton of questions, but will start with these:

I love it, but want to restore the suspension back to near factory. I love the lowered look but want something that drives right, and roads round here (Yorkshire) are pretty poor. I''d want it to ride well as want to use it most of the summer as a daily driver.

Car needs a bit of work on the front suspension anyway. Ideally i'd raise it up 3 inches or so at back and maybe 1 or 2 up front. So I think that would be a bit lower than stock, but not much.

Just wondering if any one else has done this way round and what I should expect in terms of cost / time / new parts / pitfalls.

Also would that improve the turning circle, which is rubbish at the moment.
Oh, also on the lookout for a pair of front foot well heater vents if any one knows where I can get some.

Here's how it currently looks

:Image

Thanks

Jake

sparkywig

Re: Taking Suspension back to factory

Post by sparkywig » 25th May 2018 - 8:25pm

Hello.
It shouldn't cost you anything other than time to raise the suspension, as long as you have a jack, pair of axle stands and some decent tools/sockets.
The front and rear suspension uses splined torsion bars, so all you need to do is remove and rotate the front trailing arms and rear springplates as many splines as you require.

jake@facewest.co.uk

Post by jake@facewest.co.uk » 25th May 2018 - 9:00pm

Hi Sparkywig,

OK that sounds good. Not going to tackle it myself but sounds like a straightforward job for my local aircooled garage.

Thanks

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 25th May 2018 - 9:01pm

Camber / toe in will need to be checked / adjusted as well
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 25th May 2018 - 9:10pm

Hello,

Nice to see that car again, great of you to join up and become part of the community

A few usefuls here for you https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68736

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=188457
jake@facewest.co.uk wrote:
25th May 2018 - 8:02pm

Also would that improve the turning circle, which is rubbish at the moment.
The answer is I don't know, whats causing it to be rubbish? are the tyres rubbing on the arches at full lock? or can you feel the steering binding up as you get near to full lock. Or are you expecting more steering angle than youre getting, It could just be that its an old car and doesnt have as much lock are you are expecting it to have
The sultan of swing

jake@facewest.co.uk

Post by jake@facewest.co.uk » 25th May 2018 - 9:24pm

Thanks for the links. I'll take a read.

Regarding the turning circle, maybe it's because I've not driven an old car for a long time. I don't remember my old beetles being similar.

It's not the tyres rubbing, but just feels like the box has reached it's limit. A tight T junctions I go full lock and suddenly worry I'm not going to make it round! Maybe that's a old car thing. But I'll get the garage to check that out too.

Thank you for all the replies, great to see there is such a good community for such a rare but great car.

Jake

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 25th May 2018 - 9:47pm

Get them to check for movement in the torsion arms, top & bottom on the Front axle.
When it left Chino's hands, it was in need of New Bushes & Bearings, which He sourced & included in the sale of the car
We don't know if the guy that bought it did anything to the car, but He sold the parts to a third party for a ridiculously silly amount!

Chino

Post by Chino » 30th May 2018 - 10:54am

Jake, you'll need to replace the shocks front and rear, as I fitted brand new shortened items to suit the ride height. I don't think they'll be long enough to support standard ride height. Believe it or not, I actually raised the car, as it was even lower when I got it, which is probably a contributing factor to why the lower arms have worn in the beam.

jake@facewest.co.uk

Post by jake@facewest.co.uk » 30th May 2018 - 12:55pm

Thanks Chino, added to my shopping list!

Chino

Post by Chino » 30th May 2018 - 1:31pm

Depends how much you're raising it, if it's just a bit you may be ok, from recollection I put Bugpack reds on the front and KYB gas-a-just on rear so decent shocks that haven't done a load of mileage if they still fit.

Editor

Post by Editor » 1st June 2018 - 11:43am

Wear in the lower torsion arms seems a bit of a hit and miss thing. The front beam in a Variant I'd had from 30,000 miles which had been serviced meticulously by an engineer were badly worn at the inner ends when I finally scrapped the car at 90-odd thousand miles, and I had kept it greased regularly, while some I removed from a beam the other day show hardly any wear.
Dave.

jake@facewest.co.uk

Post by jake@facewest.co.uk » 23rd June 2018 - 3:51pm

Thanks for your comments guys.

So a few jobs done at the local garage.

Raised it one outer spline on rear and two at front.
New front lower arms fitted.
Beam adjusted.
Welded up the front disc splash guards as these rattled like mad over every bump.
Kept old shocks, seem to be fine as new ride height is still a bit lower than stock.
Steering box adjusted.

Old lower arms had a bit welded on which I think was there to reduce the steering the lock, probably to stop tyres rubbing. Anyway now the turning circle is much better.

The drive quality is night and day. So much smoother and less traumatic for both me and the car, it's now a joy to drive not dodging every drain cover. Really happy with it's driving now.

I'll post some before and after pics later.

Other jobs done I've done:
Fixed windscreen wiper arms under dash which was fouling heater pipes and grinding.
Made cut outs in carpets for footwell heaters front and rear.
Fitted new window chrome / rubber scaper on drivers side.
Regreased speedo cable.
Polished scratches out of drivers window. (Still got a load more to do)

Next job replace gearshift nylon bush and rear coupling, fit original style gearshift.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 23rd June 2018 - 8:39pm

Bloody hell you've got that new car motivation! Top work, glad your getting it to how you want it to be
The sultan of swing