Garage sale in Bath 8/9 September

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
purplepeter

Garage sale in Bath 8/9 September

Post by purplepeter » 19th August 2018 - 6:57pm

Just to give You the heads up
The final disposal of Derek's collection will be on sat 8th & Sun 9th September.

Absolutely Everything must go (House is being sold & Garages demolished)

High value items at fixed but reasonable prices:
NGL 413L Type 14 Ghia- £16K
Late Bay Westy £16K
Nos type 14 Rear quarters £1k each
Type 34 Bumpers Nos
Type 14 bumper corners Nos

Everything else negotiable/silly cheap

First Type 4 owner goes home with a car full!

Will try to get some pics later this week, But for those who haven't seen/heard of it, its the result of 60 years hoarding by a vw enthusiast
Lots of goodies for type 1,2,3,4, 14 &34

Books,toys,brochures,radios,lamps all up for grabs- next stop after this is either a trader or the local Tip

The address is 1, Tyning Place, Tyning Road, Combe Down, Bath. BA2 5HA
Hopefully it goes without saying that visitors are only welcome on the 8/9 September!

broady_6

Re: Garage sale in Bath 8/9 September

Post by broady_6 » 19th August 2018 - 9:43pm

You have my attention, just had 3 days of destroying myself so will revisit this with a clear head tomorrow. But thinking of coming down friday night and being there early saturday Hate to see useful stuff going to waste so may be able to take and store things until folks want/need it
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 20th August 2018 - 12:12am

It''s a bit of a trek from the north east to the south west, but worth seriously thinking about going
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 20th August 2018 - 12:57am

You can get an inkling of an idea from the old sale lists, but it's pot luck as to whether specific items are still there!
Stuff is still appearing as the house is cleared- a couple of big boxes of type 4 bits, more trim nos & used than you can imagine, some big sill cuts that I think are 59 kg convertible, plus all the stuff that was being kept for His cars, is now for sale.
I've spent the weekend finishing off rebuilding the Type 34 engine & putting it in the car today, ready for its new owner to collect next weekend
We only found the air tools this morning- cut off saw, joggler, spraygun, spot blaster, air chisel, orbital sander-all newish,boxed,cheapo brand but all £15 each.. and a rather quirky 12v arc welder kenn something I think.
Darin & I picked over the tools yesterday & a trader bought the rest this morning!
Yet to be found are the 3 empi gtv steering wheels, that haven't been seen for about 5 years- we think derek magpie stashed them somewhere!

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 20th August 2018 - 2:37pm

If you find any of the steering wheels I'll definitely have one.
I'll be there with cash on Saturday morning, can you let me have the address please Peter?

richtbiscuits

Post by richtbiscuits » 21st August 2018 - 9:30pm

Do you know if there are any type 4 body panels or cuts? I need rather a lot for my extremely rotten and long term project. I need all sorts to be fair! Could I have the address please? Thank you.
'72 412 LE Variant
'73 412 LE Variant
'83 1200 Beetle

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 22nd August 2018 - 12:10am

No body cuts or panels for Type 4, but there is Trim, back seat & possibly some glass.Headlight trims & covers
There's a bloody big plastic cowling with fan attached, which I think is 411, but it's only just appeared & I haven't looked closely!
I'll edit the first post to show the address
Sparkywig, it might be Your lucky day.. I'm told that a steering wheel has been found, but I haven't seen it yet!

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 28th August 2018 - 11:16am

Photos are now up & should be visible to everyone, even if You don't use facebook!
I haven't got into the carport yet,where there are driveshafts,type 3 doors,& about 40 more boxes. There's also another 10 or so boxes still in the house.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 2ddf34bdbb

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 28th August 2018 - 12:46pm

I will have a dribble over those this evening
The sultan of swing

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 28th August 2018 - 6:57pm

in terms of Type 4 stuff, we have:
2X nos air filter elements £5 each
1X nos widow winder mechanism £10??
used dash & loom/switches etc/gauges £10??
used headlight surrounds & backing covers
1 wing spoon trim (so far)
Big heaps of trim-You need to be armed with measurements
Possibly glass- again, need measurements
Back seats
411 ventilation cowling & motor
engine air intake rubber

Prices above are only for guidance-finding good homes is more important than raising a fortune!- if no-one wants the dash, i'll have switches & fuses off it before it goes to the tip.

Dave Summers

Post by Dave Summers » 28th August 2018 - 10:47pm

Looks like a pair of Type 4 front seats in your photos too.
Do you know if the window winder (assuming you didn't really mean widow winder!!) is 2-door or 4-door, and RHS or LHS?
Unfortunately it's a long way to Bath for me, but if someone roughly half way between here and there was going, I might be able to liaise over anything of interest for my Type 4s.
Dave
412 Variant
411 2-door saloon

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 29th August 2018 - 7:45am

There is potential I am going (from lincoln) this weekend I will organise myself and work out if im going.

Cheers
The sultan of swing

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 29th August 2018 - 9:27am

NOT this weekend Broady…
Theres a pic of the window winder- all it says is 412 window winder mech. If you don't give it a home, its going to landfill/recycling
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

You're absolutely right about the seats!- I'm a bit frazzled after sorting out all of this stuff & would almost be happy never to see another vw part!.. the seats are bloody heavy, but as cheap as you want them to be- you can guess what happens to 'em if you don't give them a home!

For the eagle eyed amongst You, theres a brown Bentley manual going for £20, various Haynes etc for a fiver or so, & 7 copies of elfrink at £15 each
Rest of books/railway stuff is "boot fair" prices

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 29th August 2018 - 12:35pm

Yeah, its this weekend I need to organise myself for next weekend. Shame its not this weekend though. ive got time on my hands, it would have been ideal :)

Did you have any luck turning up any of the dash blanks and bits of tinware when you were taking the photos sir?
The sultan of swing

Rob 400e

Post by Rob 400e » 30th August 2018 - 5:24pm

Wow, don't think I can make it would love to dive in. Noticed a few pairs of side marker lights they would of been on the shopping list.
Type 411 Le four door auto .

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 30th August 2018 - 5:40pm

My offer will also apply to you rob if I go. I will know this weekend and post up for everyone. I only got an estate car, so I can only get one or two bits for people as i need room for my own shopping list too. But im happy to help people out if i can rather than see good parts go in the bin
The sultan of swing

Rob 400e

Post by Rob 400e » 30th August 2018 - 7:59pm

Thank you , if you manage to get me a pair of marker lights I will sort you out for your trouble many thanks Rob.
Type 411 Le four door auto .

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 30th August 2018 - 9:24pm

Side markers are going to be £10 with lens, £5 without. Sparkywig & Broady have first dibs on them.
I've found a local type 4 who is coming, so if You guys want stuff, you need to make sure Broady knows( He can then let me know via facebook) & I'd suggest You ensure He has the money in advance, so that you're not restricting His spending power!
I think it was Rob400e who wanted the trim- the spoon is yours for free & it's pair if it turns up

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 30th August 2018 - 9:52pm

Guess I'll change my plans about the 540 mile round trip & not bother coming then. Shame, it would have been a good opportunity to meet people in real life as well.
David
1974 412LS Variant

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 30th August 2018 - 9:59pm

I will contact the people who want bits collecting and work out the deal. I am near Lincoln, so if bringing the parts this far is helpful to you then get in touch me and peter. Im 90% going to be there at 10 Saturday morning. This weekend I will confirm my plans.

Current offerings are some seats for window winders for dave summers
Lens' and trims for Rob 400e
Type 4 body mouldings for oldtimer

Obviously smaller items are better, I cant be giving up all my boot space :D

Why arent you going david?
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 30th August 2018 - 10:46pm

purplepeter wrote:
19th August 2018 - 6:57pm
First Type 4 owner goes home with a car full!
That was the teaser for me, but as there's a local type 4 involved it doesn't seem to make sense any longer for me to make the very early morning journey as I suspect what will be left will be stuff I won't need like the plastic headlight surrounds. Those don't rust. :)

I'm even getting on for halfway to Inverness, nearly but not quite, 100 miles closer than you.
David
1974 412LS Variant

Dave Summers

Post by Dave Summers » 30th August 2018 - 10:59pm

I got some good stuff there about 4 years ago but it's over 1000 mile round trip for me and I suspect there isn't going to be enough Type 4 stuff to make it worth my while, especially as I only have the weekend and can't add on any more time. Shame as I don't want to miss a chance of any interesting bits that are still lurking in the 40 boxes, and it's a good chance to meet people.
The seats in Peter's photo don't match mine and the driver's one looks fairly worn so I'm not looking for seats. I do need the cable for tilting the backrest forward though - the one that's pulled by the lever on the backrest. It's about 5 mins with a screwdriver and socket set to get it off a scrap seat. I would be interested in a window winder if it's for a 2-door. Air filter elements would be useful too, if no-one who turns up takes them.
I can pm my phone number to any of you who might have spare space and I'm happy to be in touch during the week and phone during the weekend if you're willing to look out for Type 4 bits and pm me with your number.
Dave
412 Variant
411 2-door saloon

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 30th August 2018 - 11:28pm

I'm sorry if You feel I've misled you with offers of freebies, but as no-one was particularly jumping at the idea, I needed to get word out to a wider audience/
I can't remember if we did the chucking bits in your car routine on Dave when He came down, but we certainly did with Kieron & Shaun.
in the grand scheme of things, a tenner here & there on type 4 parts isn't going to make a huge difference to the pot, but I'd rather see them go to good homes via the club, than to the tip.(all of the type 4 stuff has come out of the attics in the last couple of weeks, so it isn't stuff any of You have seen before)
I shall be spreading the news of the sale to a wider audience over the weekend, as well as going through the other 40 or so boxes & getting that bloody type 2 moved, so we can extract the goodies behind it.
If the seats look like they're heading for the tip, I'll whip the cables out & post them to You, just as if the dash doesn't go, I'll be having the switches
I can hold stuff within reason if you're definitely coming down on saturday ,937
Club members have benefitted considerably over the last 8 years, but we really do need everything to go this time-garages will be a building plot asap!

Dave Summers

Post by Dave Summers » 30th August 2018 - 11:38pm

Peter
Yes, I got the "chucking bits in the car" routine as well. So I have a couple of spare gearboxes amongst other things...
Thanks for offering to post the cables - much appreciated.
I would also be interested in brake and clutch cylinders (if in useable condition) and a petrol filler pipe or two.
If your local Type 4 man has spare space, would he be willing to take stuff for the benefit of the club?
Dave
412 Variant
411 2-door saloon

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 30th August 2018 - 11:56pm

I got a lot of extra bits when I bought the 412 fasty from Kieron, interestingly a matching door to a spare I got when I bought the 412LS, I think a few people got together and broke one car & split the bits, some of which are now reunited.

We all know how this works, the same parts fail / get damaged on cars all the time, so my shopping list would have been chrome trim, wheelarch trim, spoons, front seat cables. None of those items would make the trip worthwhile, but I was thinking if I go in the estate car I'll be able to salvage a fair few items, just in case I didn't get the full complement of bits with the fasty, and for others in the future - you think it's hard getting type 3 bits.

I do appreciate what you are doing Peter and it isn't fair to ask you to list all the items in all the boxes that you haven't even seen yet, it's obvious you have been doing an awful lot already. The only things I have spotted is the bellows and fan for the 411/412 fastback & the accessory shelf, as you can count on your hands the numbers of those remaining I'd like to see those saved. Other than that I don't know what I would want until I saw it, that's why I was going to try pot luck.

edit... and Dave has now reminded me about master cylinders and petrol flap releases. :)
David
1974 412LS Variant