Carb balancing

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
KLiff

Carb balancing

Post by KLiff » 31st March 2020 - 9:34am

Hello there.

I’ve recently moved to Hampton Wick (Kingston, London). My 1967 Squareback needs carbs balancing (according to my local mechanic, something he says he can’t do). Does anyone know of anyone local to me who can help me?

Kevin 07799530037

Thanks

jmarkha1

Re: Carb balancing

Post by jmarkha1 » 31st March 2020 - 9:40am

If the carbs are in decent condition (no excessive wear in shafts) or vacuum leaks - this is something that any mechanic can do if they want to. Most carbs have a factory setting that is usually a good baseline to start from ( 2 turns out) for mixture screws for example. From there setting idle speed and mixture is best done with the carb linkage not connected to ensure linkage is not the problem. Essential that timing, valve clearances and all the basics are right before adjusting carbs to make it easier to observe changes made to carbs. Cannot recommend anyone around Kingston (at the moment) but you need to find someone who has experience working on older cars ideally...
The variant Project

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 21st April 2020 - 9:51pm

This is also very useful. Im sure you would be able to balance them youself using this guide.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/ma ... /index.php

And one of these flow meters https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STE-Carburet ... SwjXNaW3~j

You wil also need a bit of tube to sit on top of the carb to fit the flow meter in. Once you have that, you can balance them for life at a one off cost. rather than paying someing to check them yearly.

When it comes to balancing dont get fixated on what the flow number should be. Just make sure it reads the same from side to side.
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 22nd April 2020 - 10:14pm

That's a good recommendation to the "snail"
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon