Engine Pictures Need

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
easy

Engine Pictures Need

Post by easy » 26th February 2008 - 11:15am

Hi guy n girls,

Please c an you post up ya pics of early type 3 engines fitted with twin carbs. If you could post up the spec aswell that would be ace!

Many thanks in advance 8)
Chrome doesnt get you home...

BTJustice

Post by BTJustice » 26th February 2008 - 5:53pm

Its not an early Im affraid but I posted loads of engine pics when I did a time lapse (picture every half hour) engine rebuild here;

http://www.vwscotclub.co.uk/forum/forum ... p?TID=3639

Hope it helps,

Dave.
I will finish it some day!!

Rust free imports direct from California;

www.route9autos.co.uk

The west of Scotland VW club.

http://vwscotclub.co.uk/forum/

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 26th February 2008 - 6:05pm

An impressive job there Dave, just read through the engine rebuild.

I wish I had the nerve to delve into the mystery of the engine a tad more, I'll have a go at most other things but when it comes to removing the engine... :? :? :D

As for engine pics Easy, sorry can't help there :oops:

easy

Post by easy » 27th February 2008 - 1:26pm

Nice one Dave, very handy 8) thanks loads.

What i really need now is some pics of the an engine with aftermarket linkage and carbs. So if anyone knows of any pics.................... :D

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th February 2008 - 3:53pm

Haynes manual:
"Before dismantling the engine, clear a clean area in the workshop. Remember to keep all internal components scrupulously clean."

Not really, but I don't think I would dare attempt a heads-off without a reasonably clear area. Were you lucky enough to find the valve guides in good condition - they are usually the things that kill an engine - valve keeps coming down off-centre due to wear on the guide, and breaks the head off.... bang, rattle, smoke and silence!

Obviously when you know the history of the heads it's easier to decide what might need attention.
Dave.

BTJustice

Post by BTJustice » 27th February 2008 - 7:31pm

Editor wrote:Haynes manual:
"Before dismantling the engine, clear a clean area in the workshop. Remember to keep all internal components scrupulously clean."
never worried me. the internals are covered in dirt and soot anyway so not much point stressing about scrupulous cleanliness. Any dirt big enough to harm the engine would be easily seen.

Guides were fine but as said the cooling flaps were seized when I got the car and the engine was suffering from over eating and had a loose head. I think my loss of compression is down to damaged heads rather than damaged valves.

Currently working on a new engine for the car so as long as the original lasts a few more months it will go away as a spare.

www.route9autos.co.uk

easy

Post by easy » 28th February 2008 - 12:06pm

BTJustice wrote:
Editor wrote:Haynes manual:
never worried me. the internals are covered in dirt and soot anyway so not much point stressing about scrupulous cleanliness. Any dirt big enough to harm the engine would be easily seen.

Guides were fine but as said the cooling flaps were seized when I got the car and the engine was suffering from over eating and had a loose head. I think my loss of compression is down to damaged heads rather than damaged valves.

Currently working on a new engine for the car so as long as the original lasts a few more months it will go away as a spare.
Thats my plan, as long as the current enigine lasts for another couple of months, then its all good. :D

I am looking forward to seeing what its like with a twin carbed 1776 in there :D

BTJustice

Post by BTJustice » 28th February 2008 - 5:51pm

I decided to stick with 1584cc like VW intended. I really need it to be reliable as the car will be used every day so it will be a stock build up for me.

And incase you were wondering, I made a spelling mistake in my post and my enging didnt suffer from over "eating" :lol: It was supposed to say heating.

www.route9autos.co.uk

easy

Post by easy » 3rd March 2008 - 8:03am

A 1776 is going to be a reliable mild build, I use mine for everyday use and going to and from work. As part of the journey is on the motorway I need to keep up with the traffic as much as I can. 8)

Manual chokes is the call of the day for those cold mornings aswell ;)