wheels

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
lance

wheels

Post by lance » 2nd January 2009 - 7:56pm

i know its been asked a million times before
but what wheels fit without drilling i want empi 5s or fusch alloys please enlighten a newbee

GrahamM

Post by GrahamM » 2nd January 2009 - 11:44pm

Drill and fit what you want! I have old Pug (205 GTI) Speedlines on my fasty and wouldn't have anything else (Barring original steels).

Graham

Editor

Post by Editor » 3rd January 2009 - 12:15am

It's not quite as simple as that if you want to be sure the handling is still precise. The offset is pretty critical, and there can be issues of the wheels fouling calipers etc. With extreme widths, there may be the additional problem of the tyre rubbing on the body.

But as Graham says, hubs and discs can be redrilled to suit certain other PCDs.
Dave.

2much

Post by 2much » 4th January 2009 - 1:25pm

Any 4 stud wheels designed/destined for a 4 stud beetle will "fit" (and i think this also includes some "wide" Peugeot rims as well without drilling).

So even without work there are plenty of options - BRM rep 4's / Gas Burners / Sprintstar 4's / Cosmics etc etc.
From Beetle experience the EMPI 8 spoke reps and Centrerline reps always seem to come with more offset and would therefore cause a type 3 owner more potential clearance issues as they did on a 1302/3 bug.

The thing to watch for is the ride height and tyre size, keep stock and no more than 165 on the front and i "think" you should be OK. Any change to either and you'll need some more detailed advice - i'm fairly new to Type 3s (not beetle & campre tho') and have been doing some reading on this.

I'm going to drop 2 splines on front so will be looking for 4.5" rims with 145 tyres.....

Editor

Post by Editor » 4th January 2009 - 3:57pm

I'll just re-emphasise that the OFFSET is important, and Beetle wheels do not have the same offset, so are not really suitable, though they will physically fit.

Your steering swivels the wheel about a certain point on the ground, which you want to match the centre of the tyre contact patch. With the wrong offset, the centre of the contact patch will describe an arc as the wheel is turned. This is not ideal, and apart from extra wear, gives less precise handling in corners.

There are some who disregard the complex geometry of steering systems by lowering, fitting unsuitable wheels, or make other non-factory changes. If there were advantages of handling or service life, be assured the factory engineers would have discovered them!

I suppose if you want perfect handling in a car, you won't go for an old air-cooled one anyway, but it is wise to consider the handling changes that will occur if you step too far from the design values.
Dave.

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 5th January 2009 - 8:19am

Editor wrote:I'll just re-emphasise that the OFFSET is important, and Beetle wheels do not have the same offset, so are not really suitable, though they will physically fit.

Your steering swivels the wheel about a certain point on the ground, which you want to match the centre of the tyre contact patch. With the wrong offset, the centre of the contact patch will describe an arc as the wheel is turned. This is not ideal, and apart from extra wear, gives less precise handling in corners.

There are some who disregard the complex geometry of steering systems by lowering, fitting unsuitable wheels, or make other non-factory changes. If there were advantages of handling or service life, be assured the factory engineers would have discovered them!

I suppose if you want perfect handling in a car, you won't go for an old air-cooled one anyway, but it is wise to consider the handling changes that will occur if you step too far from the design values.
Here, here! :nod:

jmarkha1

Re: wheels

Post by jmarkha1 » 5th January 2009 - 2:42pm

flat 4 fuchs replicas work a treat on a type 3. redrill the rear carriers and hubs and fit porsche pattern discs up front. 4.5 inch rims on the front and 5.5 on the back. the rears will take anything up to 205 and the fronts work well with 145, 155 or 165s. Alternatiely buy a set of porsche 914 alloys or similar from somewhere like machine7...lots of options...
lance wrote:i know its been asked a million times before
but what wheels fit without drilling i want empi 5s or fusch alloys please enlighten a newbee
The variant Project

miketyp3

Re: wheels

Post by miketyp3 » 5th January 2009 - 2:59pm

jmarkha1 wrote:Alternatiely buy a set of porsche 914 alloys or similar from somewhere like machine7...lots of options...
The Porsche 914-4 wheels are actually the same offset and PCD as a type 3 so would be ideal. The reproductions sometimes have a type 1 offset though.

Lambretta-Tom

Post by Lambretta-Tom » 7th February 2009 - 6:36pm

Looking into fitting a set of Repro 15ich Fuchs offset45 (flat4) to my early notch its droped 2 splines at the rear
5.5s at the back 4.5s up front was going to use 25mm adaptors I know the tyre choice would depend but can any one see me having any problems?
Would I be better drilling the hubs to 5/130 pcd over using adapers?

jmarkha1

Post by jmarkha1 » 8th February 2009 - 12:20am

I would avoid using adapters if possible - the wheels will then fit without so many tyre limitations. I run 145/65/15 and 205/70/15 on 4.5 and 5.5 flat4 fuchs with no rubbing up front (3 outer splines) and yet to lower the rear 2 outers but there is loads of clearance inner and outer on the rear (IRS) - good luck. Machine 7 sell re-drilled drums, discs for the front and type 3 detectives can redrill your hubs and drums on the rear.
The variant Project

Lambretta-Tom

Post by Lambretta-Tom » 8th February 2009 - 1:44am

Thanks for that will look in to this way of doing it.
was wanting to use the adapters so could change the wheels over with ease.
just checked machine 7 could not find the hubs on line.
whats cost in doing it this way

cheers

Tom

jmarkha1

Post by jmarkha1 » 8th February 2009 - 3:50pm

re drilling should be approx 75 for the drums and hub carriers - the discs I used were '70 type 1 with 130/5 pattern which cost approx 48 each a few months ago. If you call Machine 7 they can advise on what you need based on your car and they also stock the studs and correct porsche nuts for the fuchs.
The variant Project

Lambretta-Tom

Post by Lambretta-Tom » 8th February 2009 - 4:08pm

Cheers will look into doing it this way.

Lambretta-Tom

Post by Lambretta-Tom » 8th February 2009 - 4:34pm

Forgot to say your square looks cool as on those red band tyres.
Looks like you still have a bit of clearence on the rear to ?

jmarkha1

Post by jmarkha1 » 8th February 2009 - 4:48pm

thanks - really pleased with the flat 4 fuchs. Surprised how much clearance there is on the back - easily enough for 215 or 225 on an IRS car - not sure it would fit on a swing axle car if lowered. The fuch offset really helps. I had 235/60/15s on my early bug on early fuch 6s with no rubbing...
The variant Project

Lambretta-Tom

Post by Lambretta-Tom » 8th February 2009 - 6:54pm

Cool
looking into it a bit more i may have a go with the adapters as i realy want to be able to switch wheels relitivley easy :oops: we shall see

Thanks again

Tom