Water ingress behind dash! Help!

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
yachtybugger

Water ingress behind dash! Help!

Post by yachtybugger » 4th October 2005 - 10:08am

Hi Guys

I need to remove the dashboard from my '65 Notch to fit a new 12v 2 speed wiper mechanism and also to discover where the heck water is leaking from behind the dash.

I've checked the fresh air box drain pipes and they seem well attached so where else should i be looking for potential leaks?

If anyone has a link to a piccy of a stripped back 1500S dash that I can use for comparison purposes it would also be appreciated :wink:

If anyone has any handy hints and tips for dash removal, they would also be most welcome.

Many Thanks :D
Keeping it Real

topnotch

Post by topnotch » 4th October 2005 - 12:23pm

hi,

my car was leaking from under the dash - turned out to be the seal round the washer jets so have a look there,
cheers,
mike

D_R_Payne

Post by D_R_Payne » 4th October 2005 - 12:34pm

I too need to sort out where my dash is leaking.... I'm torn between the washer jet and the wiper stalks... hmmm
David Payne
1967 Notchback 'S' 1776cc

yachtybugger

Post by yachtybugger » 4th October 2005 - 12:41pm

Thanks guys
I looked at my wiper spindle seals and they are rock solid and watertight. I'll check the washer jets in a few minutes. The funny thing is, there is quite alot of water in a very short amount of time when its raining which led me to believe the fresh air vents could be accumulating water and then spilling it over the top. Is this possible?
Keeping it Real

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 4th October 2005 - 2:38pm

Check there are no holes in the fresh air boxes themselves.
These commonly rot out on pre 68 cars, after that they made them in plastic. It may not be odvious at first as they rust from the inside out.

Mike.

yachtybugger

Post by yachtybugger » 4th October 2005 - 7:35pm

OK, extreme measures taken :lol:

The old watering can came out and I can categorically state that the fresh air boxes are very very very watertight, the washer spindles don't leak and the washer jets are also watertight :D

However, yesterday out in the rain, there was definitely water ingress from somewhere, resulting in water accummulating on the lip of the dash and then trickling down onto my leg. Same on the other side.

When I drove the notch down here last year, it rained then aswell but there were no water leaks. I do have a theory however.........

Having read the Haynes manual, it says, quote.........

"On the fascia, there are 3 levers.............the 2 outer levers control air to the screen independantly at each side. (so far so good :wink: ) The centre lever controls air to the footwell at the front fan behind the dashboard."

This second sentence is causing me problems because, despite searching high and low, I cannot find anything resembling a fan located under the dashboard, nevermind any ducting leading to it!!

Could it be that when the big lever is in the down position it is allowing spray to enter behind the dash because there is no ducting, where it settles on the lip and then trickles down?

I'm guessing here as I have never seen what is supposed to be there, but looking at the flaps in the open position, it seems my theory maybe plausible.

Over to the experts :wink:
Keeping it Real

Editor

Dashboard leaks

Post by Editor » 4th October 2005 - 9:42pm

I'm not sure of the arrangement on the early dash, but the later one has a drain tray for the water that gets in the louvres. If the outlet tube gets blocked, it can spill over into the air box, or behind the dash if there is rust between the tray and the bulkhead bulge.

The two drain hoses, one from the airbox and the other from the tray, come out behind the fuel tank about level with the steering wheel hole (see picture from Simon's thread on front bulkhead repair http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=196310). They are glued into the 2 holes, and may need some force to remove the ends. Poke debris out with a wire or whatnot; have a bucket ready to collect it!

Anyone add special info for the early ones, please?

yachtybugger

Post by yachtybugger » 5th October 2005 - 7:46am

Hi Ed

Thanks for that. From what I can see, I have 2 air boxes, a left and a right. There is a pipe from each which drains as per your description above. These are definitely not blocked as I filled both airboxes with water yesterday and it drained straight out very quickly.

I'm still confused by this central fan thing in the haynes manual :?

I guess next time it rains,, I'll just have to go for a drive with the central lever in the up position and see what happens :roll:
Keeping it Real

topnotch

Post by topnotch » 5th October 2005 - 9:09am

hi mate -

when i use my car (a 1500S), that middle control seems to just open both the vents at the same time - here`s a link formt he original manual - doesn`t mention any fans!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/man ... page10.jpg

mike

yachtybugger

Post by yachtybugger » 5th October 2005 - 9:43am

Thanks Mike

Thats what I was looking for. I think the water was coming from the fresh air boxes when the flap was pointing down (ie, central lever in down position)

I'd love to see a pic of behind an original early dash just for comparison.
Keeping it Real

yachtybugger

Post by yachtybugger » 21st October 2005 - 10:21pm

Quick update

It would appear the Mallorca sun has not been kind to my repro windscreen seal and the water was coming in at the lower corners, trickling onto the lip that runs along the bottom of the dash and onto my shins hence my mistaken belief it was coming from the drain boxes :badgrin:

It was also running down behind the carpet and exiting onto the floor just infront of the heater outlet!

It would appear to be a common fault according to the guys on the samba and VWtype3.org.

Anyway, i bought a new German deluxe windscreen seal on Tuseday and am just awaiting a helping hand to fit it ;)

Thanks for everyones input ;)
Keeping it Real