Type 3 plug leads

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
panalvan

Type 3 plug leads

Post by panalvan » 9th January 2006 - 9:50pm

Where can i get type 3 leads from as gsf dont stock them.Type 1 and 2 leads are way to short.Are type for leads any longer as they stock them
Cheers

Editor

Ignition leads

Post by Editor » 9th January 2006 - 10:37pm

Don't know a specific source - try Type 3 detectives?
A few comments - the ends unscrew and can be transferred to new wire. The wire needs to be thinner than most modern types to fit in the plastic clips.
Good car accessory shops can get the correct black wire.
The rubber seals are very important to prevent cooling air being lost.

aircooled.net in the USA offer them for Type 3 $26 + shipping (ugh!).

I assume a Type 2 1700 set would be plenty long enough and probably fit the clips, but I've not seen them to check. You should be able to shorten the wire to suit if it's embarrassingly long.

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 10th January 2006 - 9:46am

I'm just about to gear up to do these.
Unfortunutlly they are going to have to be silicon leads as the original copper type is unsupressed and so not legal. The only suppressed plugs I can find are the nasty screw on type that you find on the Brazilian made leads that fall to bits.
I want to make something that you can pull off using the lead as our Spark Plugs are not the easiest to get at.
They will include the big rubber sealing washer and be made to exact length (not just the nearest available from Halfords)

Price will be around £18 a set inc postage and should be available in 2 to 3 weeks if I can get my act together.

Let me know if there's any interest... Mike.

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 10th January 2006 - 9:48am

Dave, due to the routing the T4 set won't fit I'm afraid.
Two of the leads and the coil lead are too short - I've tried!

Mike.

Editor

Type 3 leads

Post by Editor » 10th January 2006 - 12:38pm

Shame the Type 4s won't work. I guess the coil is placed differently.
Jim Adney swears by the original Bosch caps - says they're the best about, and he uses a roll of the copper wire. The caps are suppressed - I've not had a problem with the plug caps pulling off - I think I grip the cap though.

We could probably get a bundle of sets from aircooled.net - or would these be the ones that fall to bits - John at aircooled.net is a stickler for quality, so I'd be surprised if his were not good quality.

Anyway, if you're doing some and the quality satisfies your high standards, not much point ordering some in.

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 10th January 2006 - 1:52pm

I don't know anything about the Aircooled.net leads myself, but if you have a set and swear by them then a bulk order would be more cost effective than making some up - I'm not going to get rich making these... ;)

Personally I'd prefer to have the copper leads and bosch plugs anyway, as this would look more original.

How about selling these through the club? Matt!!

Mike.

panalvan

Post by panalvan » 14th January 2006 - 7:36pm

Done job
New leads made up .It was a very easy job to do and quite cheep.I got a set of good quality bug leads and used the screw on ends and rubber seals of both ends and got some ht wire from a classic car parts shop.A friend had a crimping tool for ht leads and 1 hour later a nice set of leads.Car now runs as sweetas a nut :D

Matthew

Post by Matthew » 19th January 2006 - 9:53pm

miketyp3 wrote: How about selling these through the club? Matt!!
Hello, finally checking the forum after far too long away. Been building shelving in my garage and generally getting it ready (i.e. dithering) before plunging into engine rebuild.

I'm more than happy to list stuff people have either made, or can make to order, and put contact info on the imaginary list (will be real if I get any response!). Looks like Mike is the only one so far.

I could also list tips such as this thread - i.e. re-make your own leads.

switch3sixty

Post by switch3sixty » 20th January 2006 - 12:02pm

I'd be on the list with Mike too ;)
D.E.A.