Ere it is just a thought?

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
Jane Terry

Ere it is just a thought?

Post by Jane Terry » 8th November 2010 - 9:00pm

In the very early days of the club there was a very enthusiastic member called John Gallimore who did quite a lot for the club like the magazine and rustling members. Just out of interest does anyone know where he is now. It could be a nice idea to get some of the first members to a reunion. Some wont be able to make it due to them unfortunately no longer being with us. Like Ralph Marsay and Gurney Sturgeon but it would be interesting.
Mark Siemmons I still see and Paul and Barney were working at BBT. Jay is in regular contact. Also Lynne Downson she was the first secretary.I havent heard from her for a long long time. I am having a memory day today as it is 22years ago that I became secretary for the club for a couple of years and I am having a reminisance or something like it. :idea:

Editor

Re: Ere it is just a thought?

Post by Editor » 9th November 2010 - 12:40am

The club is 25 years old next year - it was launched at Malvern in July '86, and then we had a first General Meeting at VW Action at Stoneleigh in the August, when I believe membership was opened. I can only count 7 of the first 100 members still active (albeit some of us are a bit slower now than back then!). Our first meeting had about 30 around the table, and we were up to about 125 members by Summer 1988 when Jane took over as secretary and I took over the magazine.

The best tribute to the people who started the club is to see the enthusiasm of the new generation for the cars. They're still giving good service, just as they did back then, only almost all now have rust if they haven't already been restored at least once!
Dave.

kps70

Post by kps70 » 9th November 2010 - 6:03pm

Sounds like a 25 year celebration at Malvern would be a really good target to aim for.
23 years ago I was driving a beetle ;-)
Kieron

Danny Lord

Post by Danny Lord » 9th November 2010 - 6:19pm

kps70 wrote:Sounds like a 25 year celebration at Malvern would be a really good target to aim for.
23 years ago I was driving a beetle ;-)

23 years ago I was driving my Dads Splitty, not on public roads tho as I was only 12 :)
Got a Notch? www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/

kembiff

Post by kembiff » 11th November 2010 - 10:47pm

This forum is just about the only reason I wish I lived further south. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Its really not at all grim up north you know - fancy having a get together in the land of the Prince Bishops sometime?

Then we could include our Scottish type 3&4 compadres! :D :D :D
Andy in Durham. Call round for a cuppa!

Editor

Post by Editor » 12th November 2010 - 12:42am

It's odd that there seem to be very few VW events north of Birmingham. I don't know why that is though. You can always arrange a meeting.
Dave.

Jane Terry

Post by Jane Terry » 12th November 2010 - 1:16pm

Way things are with our farm at the moment perhaps we will look at moving up North and solving the problem :lol: . Trouble is taking all what we got here somewhere else and getting the workload finished what we have at the moment. So as much as I would like to rectify the problem all I can offer is camping. :lol: