1967 Fast Back

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
beans

1967 Fast Back

Post by beans » 7th December 2010 - 5:09am

Dose my type 3 1967 Fast Back have someplace to put fluid can't find gears but clutch pedal dose not go to the floor?

miketyp3

Re: 1967 Fast Back

Post by miketyp3 » 7th December 2010 - 9:23am

Your 67 Fastback has a cable operated clutch, so the short answer is no...

Presuming nothing has failed in the gearbox and there are no grinding noises or light pedal action when you depress the clutch (engine running) then i'd check the cable adjustment.

You'll have to get underneath and look for a wing nut above and behind the LHS rear axle tube.
Tighten it enough to take out any free play but avoid overtightening as it could lead to early failure of the release bearing (more about that later...).
Chances are the wing nut will be seized, so give it a few sprays of penertrating oil a day or so before and go under there prepared with a few mole grips. The cable end has a couple of flats which are handy for gripping it.

If the pedal feels light and/or there's a rattling/ griding noise when it is depressed then I'd suspect the clutch release bearing, or release fork - both of which are an engine out job.

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

Editor

Re: 1967 Fast Back

Post by Editor » 7th December 2010 - 12:04pm

It's unusual for the pedal not to go to the floor - the more normal failure mode is that it goes right down as the cable has broken! I assume it's not clogged up with frozen slush at the back?
Dave.