Bandwidth!

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
Editor

Bandwidth!

Post by Editor » 1st February 2011 - 1:48pm

I've had a few nervous days, with email warnings that we're close to our 10GB monthly limit. We survived with about 0.3 GB, and Feb should be a doddle.

I will continue to monitor it - there is about 0.6 GB used by another domain, so I may see if I can reassign that, and find out if we can get a modest extension if we get close again.
Dave.

shawn71

Re: Bandwidth!

Post by shawn71 » 1st February 2011 - 4:19pm

Does that mean are posting too much!? :roll:
'70VW 411LE 2 Door Saloon, '71 Beetle and '78 Late bay

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 1st February 2011 - 4:24pm

would removing photos help Dave?..ie from the for sale thread?-i could just put them in fb albums

JSR-69

Post by JSR-69 » 1st February 2011 - 5:33pm

Some of the photos posted are very large. If everyone saved their jpeg at around 1024 px wide and at 75% compression, then it would make a huge difference ... and be a lot quicker to upload in the first place.

Judi
Judi R
1963 Beetle (awaiting restoration)
1972 Karmann Ghia (sold)
1972 412 Variant Auto
1974 412 5-door Variant project

Editor

Post by Editor » 1st February 2011 - 6:47pm

I don't think the photos count at all - apart from the ones stored on the site itself. They're accessed from your sites, aren't they?

I can probably look into whether the technical info pages are better elsewhere, but my guess is that's not a big use.

I doubt the recent increase in spam registrations has had an effect, but I'll be investigating that.

February with 28 days won't be a problem.

Don't stop posting! There may be some stats that are using unreasonable amounts, but I think it's just that we're getting more activity - we don't want that to reduce!

No panic - we've a few things to follow up first.

Right - we could double the bandwidth available to 20GB a month for £30 a year. I think that would be easiest to do as we're happy with the service from these guys, and I don;'t fancy migrating everything. I have about 0.6 GB used by another website, so that would have to move first or pay a fair proportion! Let's see how close we get in March, the next long month. I think it's often a bit less in the warmer months as people are out doing things, not sitting at computers! They give me warnings at 90%, 95%, 99% and some others I've forgotten! If we go over it might be a nuisance as there would probably be a delay upgrading, but we can keep it under close observation.
Dave.