Bank holiday weekend...

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
Dubster

Bank holiday weekend...

Post by Dubster » 29th April 2011 - 9:03am

How are you spending yours?

We won't be heading anywhere due to the missus still recovering from her recent hospital stay :( unfortunately I won't make it to Stanford Hall for the first time in many years.

So I'm going to continue with trying to recommission the 412, I have now got my stock of new wheel cylinders, brake pipes and flexis plus a large bottle of brake fluid. I'm fairly hopeful of getting the brakes working this weekend :)

Next step is the clutch hydraulics, although I'm not so confident about that!

Hopefully will find time to sink a few ales too.

Anyone else having a VW rebuilding weekend?
'66 Beetle 1500 - '86 T25 1.9DG Camper - ‘89 Golf GTi - ‘04 Lupo GTi

shawn71

Re: Bank holiday weekend...

Post by shawn71 » 29th April 2011 - 4:51pm

Nope, I'm of to Stanford Hall on Sunday and taking it easy for the other three days :)
'70VW 411LE 2 Door Saloon, '71 Beetle and '78 Late bay

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork » 29th April 2011 - 6:14pm

Spent the day rebuilding my carbs, washing and cleaning the car. Wedding tomorrow then off to Stanford Hall on Sunday :D
wenn es nicht luftgekühlt ist, dann ist es nicht cool

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 29th April 2011 - 6:25pm

Clockwork wrote:Spent the day rebuilding my carbs, washing and cleaning the car. Wedding tomorrow then off to Stanford Hall on Sunday :D

Reminds me that I need to do that tomorrow as its filthy at the moment!

I did however fit a buzzer to remind me to turn my indicators off as I keep forgetting that at the moment :oops:
'70VW 411LE 2 Door Saloon, '71 Beetle and '78 Late bay

Paul Hayward

Post by Paul Hayward » 29th April 2011 - 8:19pm

had to go to work for four hours after i saw a bit of "the wedding" and went and got the Notch out from her winter storage...drove terrible :( ..drove it to a mates house on the way back home, found ond dodgy HT lead, couple of lose wires AND noticed that BOTH carbs were leaking fuel!!!...left it and my mates house who will fix it saturday ..and adjust the clutch again as im having problems getting into gear again,,,,,i will work saturday and pick up the Notch on the way home..with luck my other mate will give her a wash ready for stanford hall 8) 8) 8) ..shame im working half the weekend ,,but stanford hall will be GREAT..and then we of next week and Big Bang at the end of the week to also look forward to :D :D :D

Happy Bank Hols everyone :D
Paul and Kat

Editor

Post by Editor » 29th April 2011 - 10:45pm

Spent some time on the car at last - refinished the wheels - not perfect but they don't have rust patches now - cut a chunk of rust and lead loading from the front wing (work done before I bought the car 20 years ago), and welded in a repair patch - blended it in rather well with a mix of too dark VW spray paint and too light mixed colour. No idea if it will last, but it looks OK for the moment, and the wing will have to come off for a proper job sometime. Ground out some wing top rust and did a temp repair. Cleaned the hubcaps (a brass brush for suede shoes works well on the crevices of the VW roundel without scratching the chrome). Stuck down the peeling vinyl on the rear load area panels - that spray adhesive from the carpet-people at VW shows works well! Managed to pull out the vinyl almost to its original size, and only broke a lug off a few clips (!). Painted one quarter light frame to make it look more respectable. Cleaned off the dust. I hope the engine is up to the trip.

Staying at the Holiday Inn on their dinner, B&B and a bottle of wine Stanford Hall special. Sure to beat the slightly run down farmhouse accommodation we got last year! (" I've stopped doing the cooked breakfasts, so I'll knock a bit off the price...!").

Hope it makes it there and back... its longest journey in 2 yrs was to WsM Prom, about 40 miles round trip the other week.
Dave.

JSR-69

Post by JSR-69 » 29th April 2011 - 11:37pm

I'll be at Stanford Hall in my Burgundy Beetle.

Judi
Judi R
1963 Beetle (awaiting restoration)
1972 Karmann Ghia (sold)
1972 412 Variant Auto
1974 412 5-door Variant project

Editor

Post by Editor » 2nd May 2011 - 1:09am

Well, it got there and back, but worried me with a choke problem - engine racing if out of gear. Narrowed it down to wiring to the chokes, I think. Worked OK on the way back after a bit of pounding on the road surface, until leaving the Motorway at Bristol... I suppose bumpy roads can just as easily worsen the contact. i think there's about 3 strands of wire left (maybe 2 now!).
Dave.