Hi From a Newbie

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
Big H

Hi From a Newbie

Post by Big H » 16th June 2011 - 11:52pm

Hello Folks
Im from Bangor in N Wales. Im more a petrol head than a total VW nut. I'm big into VW Scirocco's I own a Mint MK1 Strom + a very rare MK2 Cabriolet. I love all classic cars.
I was brought up with air cooled as a kid my dad having a New split screen van in 1963 then a new 65 combi. I can remember going to Spain in it when it was new I was aged 6, a big adventure in them days.
The one car that always sticks in my mind thought, was the 1973 VW 412LE Variant he had form new NJC775M. I seem was the reg. In recent years ive had an even bigger soft spot for them, I would love to find either i viable project car or a good unmolested example. I think the words coming to everyones mind from the last sentence, would be Hens teeth, rocking horse poo. etc etc! :D
Ive had a few aircooled VW's over the years. Type 3 Variant when i was about 20, It was just another cheap car for a skint young man in those days. That also suffered a similar problem to us Scirocco owners. That is rusty fuel filler necks causing water to get in the fuel tank :roll:
Ive had a couple of beetles and a type 2 camper.
Lots of non VW's too. Ive a soft spot for Land Rovers. I love large V8 engined cars 8) had a 5.7 L Vauxhall/Holden Monaro until last year.
Ive seen over the last 3 years a nice green 412 Variant at Stonor Park. I expect it will be someone on this forum?
Anyway look foward to being able get a nice 412 sometime with some help from here
H

Paul Hayward

Re: Hi From a Newbie

Post by Paul Hayward » 18th June 2011 - 7:48pm

welcome 8) ...good luck on the search for the next aircooled type 3 or 4 :D
Paul and Kat

Big H

Post by Big H » 18th June 2011 - 10:30pm

Thanks for the welcome
It would have to be a type 4 im afraid. Just down to how rare they are! I mean I own one this! Talk about teeth of hens
Sorry about the water cooled content :D Hope it does not offend :)

kps70

Post by kps70 » 19th June 2011 - 2:45pm

There are only about 50 type 4's left in the country, maybe as much again hidden away.
Good luck
Kieron

Big H

Post by Big H » 19th June 2011 - 5:20pm

kps70 wrote:There are only about 50 type 4's left in the country, maybe as much again hidden away.
Good luck
50 wow! Thats loads! My MK1 storm is 1 of approx 50 road worthy examples left! My cabrio is 1 of 5 RHD ever made. Im told the only road worthy example in RHD form
I like Exclusivity :D :D
Seriously though i have seen more variant's than cars? More sold? Or better survival?

Editor

Post by Editor » 19th June 2011 - 11:26pm

More Variants sold - more than half the total production were the estate version. Obvious really, it does it all.

I see there's only one Polo CX on the road according to this data - my son had one, and they were good little cars, but many special editions don't sell well. Anyone want some pearl silver metallic paint? It has a slight brown tinge or I'd use it on the wheels!
Dave.