Looking for Marina blue Variant VCO 507M

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
Editor

Looking for Marina blue Variant VCO 507M

Post by Editor » 17th August 2012 - 12:02am

Emailed note sent to me:-
I passed my driving test in 1981 in my dad’s 1974 sky blue square back Type 3 variant (Reg VCO 507M). He bought it new from Renwick’s in Plymouth and it still remains the only new car ever bought in my immediate family. It must have been one of the last variants sold as the VW introduced a whole new range, including the Passat (in 73) which replaced the variant. My dad was VW obsessed, having driven loads while on National Service in Germany, so he had VW vans as well prior to ’74 as work vans. He even hired a VW combi in the sixties so we could go on holiday to Scotland.

I was pretty sure it was still in existence (did the insurance quote check on the registration) a year or so ago. I can’t find it now.

I wondered whether you may have come across it. Someone may be interested in its early history. And it’s a bit like a long lost friend to me.

Regards

Pete Lyon

I've checked the DVLA vehicle enquiry pages and it says the last tax ran out in May 1986 (no info since then). I think the most likely thing it was been scrapped a while ago. Shame!
Dave.