EU Trying to ban ALL modified cars

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
neilswheels

EU Trying to ban ALL modified cars

Post by neilswheels » 21st August 2012 - 11:09pm

I know, you've heard it all before, but there's another legislation on the table, only standard cars will be drivable. That's completely, down to tyre size and tread pattern - really! Have a look here and get involved, or do you want your car to be perminatly in your garage, oh, and worthless.

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/armageddon/

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/top...s-64112/page11

Editor

Re: EU Trying to ban ALL modified cars

Post by Editor » 22nd August 2012 - 2:58am

You're overstating the tread pattern bit, but the vehicle type approval system has existed for decades.

The proposal appears to deal with the inspection of vehicles, and specifically excludes ‘vehicle of historic interest’ which is any vehicle which fulfils all the following conditions :
– It was manufactured at least 30 years ago,
– It is maintained by use of replacement parts which reproduce the historic
components of the vehicle;
– It has not sustained any change in the technical characteristics of its main
components such as engine, brakes, steering or suspension and
– It has not been changed in its appearance.

I guess it comes down to the tester knowing what it was like originally, and while the proposal specifies that original manufacturer's technical data must be available, that alone makes it unworkable for our vehicles. At least the suggestion is there that the lower annual mileages of historic vehicles might allow for less frequent testing.

It sounds like typical heavy-handed EU legislation, spawned by the regulation nuts and magnified by a lack of commonsense.

OTOH, a friend of my son ended up in a very serious crash in Germany when he aquaplaned at speed. The tyres and rims he had fitted were way wider than standard and most certainly contributed to the accident in a major way.

The narrowed beams that seem to be becoming popular on Type 3s have not been tested for stability at speed or in certain manoeuvres. An MoT tester is already empowered to refuse a pass to a modified vehicle, which includes all red rear lights, and certainly the silly little brake lights some custom cars have. This is an area where I believe more control should be exercised.

Ultimately, though, I believe we are more likely to suffer at the hands of someone driving a relatively modern car with all its secondary safety systems, than a classic car enthusiast in a modified car. Guess who is more likely to walk away from the wreck.

If you want to wade through the legal stuff, it's at http://ec.europa.eu/transport/doc/roadw ... %29380.pdf .

Mention of standardisation through the EEC suggests to me that some of the member countries don't treat this as seriously as our MoT system.
Dave.

Paul L

Post by Paul L » 22nd August 2012 - 8:20pm

There really is a lot of speculation/hype about this proposed regulation. I read the proposed reg this afternoon and to be honest, I cannot see much in it that would change the current system we have now. One key thing with EU regs having had experience drafting and negotiating one on buses (don't hate me!), do not confuse the recitals (at the beginning of the document) with the regulation itself. This causes many a confusion.

This reg looks at the inspection of vehicles and in some ways addresses the issue of newer EU members having a somewhat substandard system of inspection and bringing them up to date. The main proposal seems to be around environment and conformance to regs in force at the time of build. As Dave alludes to above, there would be a specific exemption for 'historic' vehicles (30 years+). In terms of newer vehicles, I cannot see how it would alter the MOT much, however one thing that does strike me about this is that if modifications are carried out (for example bigger wheels/tyres) it may need recording on the log book, much like what happens in Germany now.

If i get time over the weekend I'll do a more thorough analysis.
1972 411 LE Variant Auto
1971 411 LE Fastback

Editor

Post by Editor » 23rd August 2012 - 12:12am

That was certainly my view, Paul, and they allude somewhere to different inspection standards across the EEC, but if they do require conformity with manufacturers' original specifications, it would certainly make substantially altered technical specifications or appearance grounds for refusing a certificate, even for historic vehicles.
Dave.

Paul L

Post by Paul L » 29th August 2012 - 8:18pm

This seems to have been put to back for now, will keep an eye out for it resurfacing......
1972 411 LE Variant Auto
1971 411 LE Fastback

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 30th August 2012 - 10:46pm

this country's governing bodies have been contacted and they have pretty much put to bed any ideas that modified cars are to be banned.

More or less none of the EUs new laws will affect the UK as we are above the standard which they're trying to set out
The sultan of swing