Reversing Lights

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
Wireless

Reversing Lights

Post by Wireless » 3rd July 2013 - 1:13am

Hi,

Had a brake light fail on the nearside of the Squareback, so decided to replace the bulb and take the opportunity to investigate why the reversing lights have never worked.

Turns out the contacts just needed bending to ensure a good circuit to light the brake bulb, however, discovered that the reversing lights aren't there...

I first looked and thought that both reversing bulbs had blown long ago, and that some ham-fisted person had broken the glass off the metal trying to extract the bulbs, not the case, all I have is a VW factory plastic plug to fill the hole where the bulb would sit, with no bulb holder fitting for either reversing lamp on the back of the light clusters. There's wiring that appears to end with two connectors joined together to form a 'circuit', but I suspect there's not reversing switch fitted to the gearbox either (not looked).

It looks to me like the Reversing lights were an optional extra that was never fitted, although perhaps all the wiring is still on the car.

Anyone else come across this, and what did you do to get the reversing lights working?
73 de Wayne M5WJF

'73 Type 4 412 LS Variant (UK Reg '74)

Editor

Re: Reversing Lights

Post by Editor » 3rd July 2013 - 1:52am

That was normal. The UK importers of VWs used the reputation of VW to sell the lowest spec vehicles they could get away with, to maximise their profits. Reversing lights weren't fitted to many models back then, the wiring may be there though. Same with clocks, carpet, waist-line trim and other things. Even the passenger sun-visor was an option, though I expect the dealers did fit that to most anyway.

You will need a switch, and maybe the inline fuse-holder.
Dave.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 3rd July 2013 - 9:31am

The easiest way to get the bulb holders is to change the rear light clusters. I fancied the chromed ones most of which have the reversing light bulb, as My car originally only had the painted ones.

Putting the switch into the nosecone is easy in itself, But jack the car as high as poss from the front, so that the gearbox oil runs to the back of the box, thus minimising risk of oil loss. Not much room to work with either!

Then its a case of inline fuse onto + side of coil, positive wire to switch, return from switch to engine bay, where you'll find a 2 into 1 connector coming out of the loom on left hand side of engine bay.. That's what leads to the loose wires inside the rear wings.

Obviously, connect everything else before You do the connection to Coil!

Pic of 2 into 1 connector in question!

Wireless

Post by Wireless » 3rd July 2013 - 11:03am

Cheers guys, looks like I may have to invest in a few bits; as regards the UK Importers, I've come across exactly to same cutting of corners with other makes of old car.

What really gets my goat about this is the fact that if you have lights on the car, by Law they have to work, so the reversing lights have always worried me, as they are fitted but not working, but now I know this is by design you know they'd never get away with it today.
73 de Wayne M5WJF

'73 Type 4 412 LS Variant (UK Reg '74)