Bumpers, re chroming and insurers!

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
KLiff

Bumpers, re chroming and insurers!

Post by KLiff » 11th September 2013 - 1:45pm

Dear all - I need help:

1) does anyone have a decent rear bumper for a 1967 Squareback for sale, or, failing that, know of a re-chromers anywhere who'll quote less than the 'best' London price of £700 for a bumper and two over-riders!!!

2) my car is now near 'mint' - I've reconditioned the engine for £2k, spent £4k on other mechanics, £6k on a full body restore and paint job, new rubbers, lights, carpets...

What do I say is the replacement value of my car for insurance purposes - is my car worth more than the sum of its parts...?

Cheers,

Kev

Marko

Re: Bumpers, re chroming and insurers!

Post by Marko » 11th September 2013 - 3:36pm

Mario at T3HQ or BerT3 may be able to help out there..
my 1968 Fastback Automatic build thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

Editor

Re: Bumpers, re chroming and insurers!

Post by Editor » 11th September 2013 - 5:56pm

Some years ago a late Type 3 Fastback had been completely restored, even though most of it was in a perfectly good condition to start with. The owner replaced anything not looking brand new, and it cost about double what the best concours car was valued at back then. He argued for an agreed value of the cost of changing everything that showed signs of use, and they did eventually agree something in that region.

You would need to be able to support the costs with proof, and I would assume an independent professional inspection and valuation would be needed if your valuation was well outside the tables of the various condition price bands.

Obviously the premium is based on the valuation, and the rate per £-value might be higher to reflect the greater risk of theft for a very desirable car.

I wouldn't want to try claiming soon after taking out the policy, either!

Try the guy offering insurance through Heritage Insurance (Services section of the forum). He would be able to give you an idea of what they would need to support a declared value, to make it 'agreed'.
Dave.