My car is a Greek Goddess driving a four horse chariot...

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
Wireless

My car is a Greek Goddess driving a four horse chariot...

Post by Wireless » 15th October 2013 - 1:30pm

Well, not confirmed but I've sufficient information to assume this is correct.

A Greek Cypriot ordered the Type 3 in 1973, in a special colour, undefined according to Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen, but nevertheless, painted in the Wolfsburg Factory and given VW Paint Code 69 on the Construction Plate. The colour they painted it is white by the way.

The Scot that bought in in Cyprus in 1990 says the Swan Bonnet/Hood Ornament was on the car when he bought it, it's still on the car, although it's minus the Swan's wings, which appear to have been lost at some point before 1990.

Now, in Greek Mythology, Nike (or Nice), is the Greek Goddess that drives Zeus's Four Horse Chariot, and Nike is always depicted as having the wings of a swan. I realise its a leap, but not that great a leap, to think that the first Greek owner of the car had it painted Swan White, and mounted a Swan Bonnet/Hood Mount on the car as an expression of his religious beliefs.

So...I am going to source another Swan Bonnet/Hood Mount, and as the car is not for sale anymore, it will be restored in a Swan White, for originality.

There, at least it brings a smile to a few faces, ha
73 de Wayne M5WJF

'73 Type 4 412 LS Variant (UK Reg '74)

Editor

Re: My car is a Greek Goddess driving a four horse chariot..

Post by Editor » 16th October 2013 - 2:12am

There's a Skoda Swan White L106, but it's not contemporary ('89 colour).

You may be adding 2 and 2 and making 69, but who cares? It's a good yarn, and certainly showed there's always something else to learn about VWs.
Dave.

Wireless

Post by Wireless » 16th October 2013 - 8:39pm

Well, there's more important things to do to the car, but I've secured a Swan...

All I need to do is move the Swan further back, and use nylon fixings within EC regulation 74/483, which snap at 10kg loading.

Anyway, no doubt it'll gather dust on a shelf...ha.
73 de Wayne M5WJF

'73 Type 4 412 LS Variant (UK Reg '74)

Editor

Post by Editor » 17th October 2013 - 2:20am

My brother used to have a horse on his Mk1 Golf bonnet. It looked a bit silly to be honest!
Dave.