Continuous SORN

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
937carrera

Continuous SORN

Post by 937carrera » 27th January 2014 - 12:47am

One of my cars is due for SORN renewal at the end of this month.

I have been having a problem using the 16 digit code to "renew" the SORN, with the number being rejected and an error message saying "Enter the full 16 digit number"

After a bit of googling it appears this is a consequence of the new "evergreen" SORN, and all existing SORN's have been made permanent. There's a useful thread at http://www.series2club.co.uk/forum/foru ... ic=68843.0, which I thought would be worth sharing.

I'll be checking the tax status of the car in early February !
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

Editor

Re: Continuous SORN

Post by Editor » 27th January 2014 - 1:45am

I'm sure I got a similar thing happen, but I'm sure it told me on the gov site about the continuing SORN until you apply to use it on the road again. I guess it be printed on the renewal notice - maybe we won't get those again though.
Dave.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 27th January 2014 - 8:38am

Yes, it does say that but it isn't clear if that applies to new SORN's or existing SORN declarations. The biggest issue is that the error message is completely unhelpful. Reading around there's now a new problem if you have a car which is taxed (say historic class) but you wish to SORN to avoid the continuous insurance obligation. As I understand it there's no mechanism to remove the SORN declaration, so when you take to the road in your newly insured historic the information collected through ANPR / police computers will be wrong & there's an increased likelyhood for getting stopped for using a SORN car on the road (quite legally)
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

serenity

Post by serenity » 27th January 2014 - 3:23pm

I had an issue when I wanted to tax my car on line it wouldn't except the 16 dig number so went to the local post office they tried everything in there power but still couldn't do it due to the car being sorn so off home I go ring dvla explain the problem they ask me for my log book number and hey ho tax in post :D
Living the dream to the fullest! Why not I own a type 3.....