Blaupunkt radio repair

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
937carrera

Blaupunkt radio repair

Post by 937carrera » 30th January 2014 - 8:55am

My 412 came with the original (?) Blaupunkt Hildesheim S radio. It wasn't switching on at first, but I managed to fix that by using electrical contact spray on the volume control.

Last time I was in the car the radio was merrily playing away when the volume just faded away to nothing. I still switches on & off fine, but there is no sound. I have tried another speaker without success.

I have opened the radio up, but cannot see anything obviously wrong, components such as capacitors look aged, but not obviously failed.

I assume the power and tuning sections are working fine, it's just a problem in the output / amplification section. Does anyone have any experience of what may be wrong, or suggested diagnostic approaches. I have a multimeter.
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

miketyp3

Re: Blaupunkt radio repair

Post by miketyp3 » 30th January 2014 - 1:20pm

If its one that has the 5 pin DIN socket then it will be possible to check the amplifier seperately. You'd need one of those iPod leads - or at least a diagram of the pin layout to make the right connections.

I sent a radio to Vintage Wireless http://www.vintagewireless.co.uk/ once. On that occasion they weren't actually able to repair it, but they seemed to know what they are talking about and I don't think they charged me to look at it (it was a while back).

Richard Oakley on here knows a bit about old Blaupunkts. You could ask him, he may be able to offer a suggestion.

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

937carrera

Re: Blaupunkt radio repair

Post by 937carrera » 30th January 2014 - 7:16pm

Oh, that was so funny :D :D
miketyp3 wrote:If its one that has the 5 pin DIN socket
It's actually a very basic mono MW/LW radio, similar to the radio on the site below. Apart from having a speaker connection, it's key features are a push button tone control and selector for 6V / 12V operation.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/blaupunkt_hildesheim.html

Seperately, I also have a Blaupunkt Berlin IQR85 head unit that I'm trying to source an amplifier for, but that's another story. That's the one with 3 DIN plugs ;)

I'll have a look around for Richards details later tonight and send him a PM, thanks for the help Mike :thumbsup:
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon