New member - EOG 94K orange notchback

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
Stevef0525

New member - EOG 94K orange notchback

Post by Stevef0525 » 6th April 2014 - 10:52am

Hi I'm new to the forum so thought I would introduce myself. I live in Rotherham and I'm a member of the Sheffield Volkswagen Owners Club. I have a Light Grey (more of a stoney colour) '73 Bay which anyone local to me might have seen about.

Yesterday I bought (picking up next Saturday) an orange Notchback from a fellow SVWOC member. I think some of you may know the car as I have done a couple of searches on the forum and unearthed a couple of photos? As the title says its registration is EOG 94K and I believe it was owned by Phil Evans at some point? Forgive me for not knowing who Phil Evans is but from what I gather he is a well known authority on Type 3's?

I'm hoping someone knows a bit more about the history of this car? Janine who I bought it off mentioned the car spending some time in Hong Kong too, not sure if she meant it was originally registered there or not?

As you will have gathered, I'm new to Type 3's but I know my way around Type 2's and I'm a fast learner. If someone could give an idea where I can get some good quality/NOS wings and all the window seals for my notch that would be great.

Any replies are appreciated.
Steve

purplepeter

Re: New member - EOG 94K orange notchback

Post by purplepeter » 6th April 2014 - 12:27pm

Welcome to the world of Type 3's!
NOS panels don't really exist
The rule of thumb with Type 3's is... If you see parts, Buy them!
Seek out Simon Kelley (Notch 1500 on ebay for Rubber)

Editor

Post by Editor » 7th April 2014 - 1:45am

Welcome Steve.

Phil Evans was involved with VWs from the dealership side of things. Over the years he amassed a stock of all sorts of parts as they became 'remaindered', and a couple of nice Type 3s, and probably other models. He did a lot of Concours judging, too. Nice guy. I've not seen him for a while - hope he's still around.

Mostly we have to fabricate repair parts - it's not like a Type 1 or 2 for parts availability, but they are mostly good German when they appear, rather than poor quality repro.
Dave.

Marko

Post by Marko » 7th April 2014 - 5:16am

I'm quite local in Doncaster so if you need any advice or help just PM me :)
my 1968 Fastback Automatic build thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

Stevef0525

Post by Stevef0525 » 7th April 2014 - 12:59pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm interested in finding out a bit more on the history of this car, I guess I will be able to start my search properly once I pick the car up and can look through the paper work.

So are there no suppliers who make repro wings?

Mark you have PM.

Cheers
Steve

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 7th April 2014 - 2:28pm

The only repro wings are Fibreglass
NOS ones do occasionally pop up, but it'd take You a long time to find a full set
Good Used ones are out there, Most Type 3 Owners keep a set, but No-One is ever willing to admit what's in Their private stash!
Seek out Bert3, Mario Stenhauser (T3HQ) & Konny in Germany.. They're the most likely candidates for NOS panels
I think rcc might have some used front wings

Marko

Post by Marko » 7th April 2014 - 3:49pm

like already said, there are wings out there if you know where to look but they are generally a lot of money! if your wings are not completely shot they may be worth saving especially as you're a body man as well :) my wings needed considerable amounts of work but turned out quite nice considering I don't do bodywork for a living!

front wings usually go near top and bottom near door and also around headlamp bowl, easy to fix!

my 1968 Fastback Automatic build thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

Stevef0525

Post by Stevef0525 » 7th April 2014 - 4:51pm

Looks like a nice job!

The problem with the front wings on my notch is that I think they are poor quality repro wings. Should hopefully be able to save the rears!!

Steve

Editor

Post by Editor » 9th April 2014 - 12:23am

Repro steel?? I can't believe anyone made steel repro front wings. I know after-market repair sections were made for around the headlamp bowl area, and I think the bowls were also available, even as a VW supplied spare part. At the top rear corners, the rust was accelerated by wax-filled foam blocks to close off any gaps, but they just held damp, salty water. The thick anti-drumming coating didn't help either.
Dave.

Danny Lord

Post by Danny Lord » 9th April 2014 - 6:15am

Glad to hear Phil's old Notch is still about :) I remember him saying to me when I got my '72 that his car started off in Hong Kong then imported in to this country, here's a some pics the first ones are from Stanford hall, I guess about 1994/5 the other at Santa Pod, not sure what show or year..........

Got a Notch? www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/

Danny Lord

Post by Danny Lord » 9th April 2014 - 6:17am

Got any pics of it now? if you're on facebook come join my Notchback group :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/
Got a Notch? www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/

Stevef0525

Post by Stevef0525 » 13th April 2014 - 10:08am

Cheers for the old pics Danny Lord. Picked her up yesterday and not quiet looking like that now lol. Got loads of paperwork including the original service book with VW Hong Kong stamps!!!
Danny Lord wrote:Got any pics of it now? if you're on facebook come join my Notchback group :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/
Think I joined your Facebook page the other day, I'll put some pics up now. Might help me track the parts down too.

Tangonotch

Post by Tangonotch » 8th May 2014 - 8:20pm

Hi mate
I used to own the notch! My name is Richard. My email tangonotch is because of my ownership of this car!!! I bought the car from an advert in autotrader. I was and still am a vw nut but wanted something different from a beetle. When I viewed it, me and my mechanic mate couldn't believe how amazingly solid and mint it was. It did start out its life in Hong Kong hence the date of first registration on the log book. I lowered it. We lowered it at my mates garage in Blackpool, it was so low to begin with that we couldn't get it over the speed bumps to get out of the industrial estate! lol.
We made it a bit more sensible but still looking a bit cooler. I also added number 71 on both doors and added loads of vw stickers, empi, racing etc onto the windows. The rear pop outs, rear armrest and one other thing were factory fitted extras. I seem to think it was some sort of fan blower??
It was my daily driver for a year or two but I was always on the look out for other Vee Dubs. The car never missed a beat! I sold it to a guy in the Midlands.
I would love to see some pics of it now. It was only the other day that I checked on DVLA to see if it was being taxed!! I still have pics and other bits and pieces in my colder from all my precious cars. Drop me an email. Tangonotch@aol.com
Richard.