Master Cylinder

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
Calamity Al

Master Cylinder

Post by Calamity Al » 21st May 2014 - 10:36am

So apart from price, does anyone know what the difference is between a Beetle single circuit master cylinder, and a type 3? Problem i'm having is i'm pretty sure my 66 has had a beetle brake conversion as it has 4 stud wheel pattern and discs on the front.

Creationblue

Re: Master Cylinder

Post by Creationblue » 21st May 2014 - 5:30pm

The pushrod on a T3 is longer than the beetle one so you need a matching T3 cylinder so the story goes, in practise it may be worth trying the beetle version. I was able to find a nos T3 one cheaply in the end which is working fine

Physically I think the 2 units are very similar
Way out west

http://cjmotors.info

http://www.solutionselectrical.co.uk

'67 Square
'70 Earlybay

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 21st May 2014 - 7:48pm

Type 1 Bolts in from inside the car, Whereas Type 3 is mounted from outside
You'd need to check the Master cylinder bore and be aware that front drums requires a different M/cyl to Front Discs

Calamity Al

Post by Calamity Al » 22nd May 2014 - 8:25am

As I've got front discs and a 4 stud bolt pattern in thinking it may be beetle anyway, useful info about where it mounts from, I'll check that out.

Cheers :)

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 22nd May 2014 - 10:04am

European Type 3's were Disc brake and 4 stud in 66 anyway, so I don't think its converted.
66/67 master cylinders are the same bore and stroke as Drum, but have a valve incorperated into the body that leaves slight pressure in the system - to prevent the pads working back. In practice it doesn't really happen, but just so you're aware.
The Beetle cylinder is the same bore, but because the Type 3 cylinder is longer non of the internals fit - I know...

You can get a Twin circuit Type 3 cylinder off the shelf. They'll be a little modification to the solid pipe lengths, but its a worthwile modification.

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

Calamity Al

Post by Calamity Al » 22nd May 2014 - 10:35am

miketyp3 wrote:European Type 3's were Disc brake and 4 stud in 66 anyway, so I don't think its converted.
66/67 master cylinders are the same bore and stroke as Drum, but have a valve incorperated into the body that leaves slight pressure in the system - to prevent the pads working back. In practice it doesn't really happen, but just so you're aware.
The Beetle cylinder is the same bore, but because the Type 3 cylinder is longer non of the internals fit - I know...

You can get a Twin circuit Type 3 cylinder off the shelf. They'll be a little modification to the solid pipe lengths, but its a worthwile modification.

Mike
Thanks for this, great info