squareback 68 > 67 interchangeable

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
Brianm

squareback 68 > 67 interchangeable

Post by Brianm » 18th July 2014 - 8:49pm

Evening everyone

due to our pride and joy being in a crash on the 25th of may,(everyone is ok kids were in the car with me )
the car has just been written of and im thinking of rebuilding her and put her back on the road,

anyway im currently looking at a 67 rolling shell so they question and it might be an easy answer is,will all the usable parts
of my 68 fit straight onto the 67 :D

miketyp3

Re: squareback 68 > 67 interchangeable

Post by miketyp3 » 21st July 2014 - 8:03am

Firstly, sorry to hear about the accident, but glad you're all ok.

There's a bit of differance between the 67 and 68 (check it is a 67 model as 68's started 8/67), but most of your 68 parts should fit.
The 67 door locks and handles (& doors if you don't have them) are different and one year only parts, but if your 68 doors are usable then there's no problem, you can use those complete.

The dash is also a bit different, you'll need to source the fresh air vent system from a 67 or earlier car, or graft the 68 dash in.
You will also need the earlier fuel tank (make sure its the correct hand drive - they are different) as the 67 fills from in the bonnet.

I hope that helps.

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

Brianm

Re: squareback 68 > 67 interchangeable

Post by Brianm » 21st July 2014 - 9:18pm

miketyp3 wrote:Firstly, sorry to hear about the accident, but glad you're all ok.

There's a bit of differance between the 67 and 68 (check it is a 67 model as 68's started 8/67), but most of your 68 parts should fit.
The 67 door locks and handles (& doors if you don't have them) are different and one year only parts, but if your 68 doors are usable then there's no problem, you can use those complete.

The dash is also a bit different, you'll need to source the fresh air vent system from a 67 or earlier car, or graft the 68 dash in.
You will also need the earlier fuel tank (make sure its the correct hand drive - they are different) as the 67 fills from in the bonnet.

I hope that helps.

Mike
Hi Mike the main thing was the kids were ok thanks

thanks ask for the info regarding the question,just had a quick look at the car im interested in and a few of the parts you mentioned ie door handles, petrol tank,padded dash are missing :roll: id have to ask the seller if he has them as it might be a bit of a nightmare trying to get the parts,im not a 100 % sure yet that im going ahead with it as he has not got the title to the car but have been given a number of a shipping company that could deal with the issue plus the shipping,

thanks again Mike

brian