003 Automatic Transmission HELP

Post here for cars and parts
In2Rust

003 Automatic Transmission HELP

Post by In2Rust » 2nd April 2018 - 9:10pm

Looking for a good working 1600 Type 3 Automatic Transmission for our Squareback.

So close to getting the car useable. But have some issues with it loosing drive like the clutches are slipping :(

If anyone knows of a good transmission please PM I need the car to be reliable and useable.

Or if anyone has had their auto rebuilt in the UK and all has been good since a recommendation of a good rebuilder would be great!

thanks Mike

s.unsworth

Re: 003 Automatic Transmission HELP

Post by s.unsworth » 14th April 2018 - 6:18pm

automaticgearboxrepairs.com

Emmanuel Street, Preston. Tel 01772 259068

Had my 1972 Type 3 Auto Transmission rebuilt there when it suddenly lost all drive, leaving work one day when it was my Daily Driver. They said it was mainly just a case of all the Seals in the Valve Body failing but changed all the Brake Bands and Clutches as well. It has been faultless since. It does sit in my garage most of the time these days to be fair and does very few miles. They were very good. It even had to go back for a free check up after a few weeks / Miles. They took plugs out of the Transmission ( oil galleries ? ) to check Fluid Pressures were correct at different points in the system.

s.unsworth

Re: 003 Automatic Transmission HELP

Post by s.unsworth » 14th April 2018 - 6:45pm

Just had a “ Blast from the past “, I think I remember that sometimes slipping Brake Bands just need re torquing ? Back in 1974 ( when I left school ) to 1977 I did 3 years of CGLI and ULCI Motor Vehicle Courses. Our teacher said Automatic Transmissions were very simple. It was just that most people, including mechanics, not understand them. Faults were usually very easy and cheap to fix, making cars with Automatic Transmission faults the best way for a mechanic to get a good car on the cheap ! Last time I checked The Automatic Transmission people at Preston they told me there was no problem getting the Parts for these. They are after all just a Borg Warner (35 ?) Auto Transmission made to fit into a VW Transaxle.

Apart from that loss of all Drive ( in 1993 ) the only other failure I have had was of a used Auto Transmission I bought at VW Northwest for about £30. Fitted it in my Variant when it was off the road due to the loss of all Drive. It drove about 3 Miles then the Differential siezed up at 40 to 50 mph. Locked the rear wheels up, taking the Variant through a hedge backwards ! Zeno other damage, fortunately. Reason for this was failure of the Seal between the Auto Transmission and the Differential. Auto Transmission Fluid in the Gear Oil makes for a very unhappy Diffefential. I still have all the broken bits !

One other thing ( well two really ) do get a spare Drive Plate ( Flex Plate ) and Torque Convertor and keep them for yourself. They are almost impossible to source. I sold a Drive Plate to another Club Member who had wrecked his by leaving the Engine hanging on it during an incorrect removal process. Only afterwards did I find that I could only get a replacement from VW ISP West in California at Great expense !

Regards,

Steve