Brake bleeding ?

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
FASTY72

Brake bleeding ?

Post by FASTY72 » 10th November 2014 - 6:54am

Hi Tried to bleed the brakes yesterday. we got the front done but when we tried to do the rear there is no bleed nipple on the passenger side rear ! I guess it has been broken off. there is one on the drivers side rear. How easy is it to replace the bleed nipple. there is nothing left sticking out from the back of the drum so I guess we would have to drill out the old one.
Also when I tried to move the car back in the garage after, the rear brakes seem to be binding on slightly.
Any ideas ?
HELP !!!! :cry:
Hi My name is Paul...................... Fasty back together again !!!!!!!!!!

miketyp3

Re: Brake bleeding ?

Post by miketyp3 » 10th November 2014 - 11:56am

Based on past experiance I think you'll be lucky to get it out without damaging the thread or the sealing face drilling it out.
For the price of a new cylinder its easier to change it - more likely that not you'll end up replacing it anyway.
I've only ever tried it on a sunday, when the shops are shut - now I keep a couple of spares in stock so I don't have to.

A slight binding of the brakes could be just the after effects of bleeding adjustment, something siezed or flexi hoses on the way out. I would take this chance to replace everything that looks suspect anyway, unless you enjoy brake bleeding.

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 10th November 2014 - 7:31pm

Rather than drilling the old one out, perhaps you can borrow a stud extractor like these http://www.screwfix.com/p/stud-extracto ... eces/20084

They car work well, but I suspect replacing the wheel cylinder might well be easier
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

Editor

Post by Editor » 11th November 2014 - 12:20am

I think they're only around £10 from GSF or Euro Car Parts, plus you get a new bleed nipple and a rubber cap included. No doubt someone has run it without a cap, so water and winter salt has got into the hollow stem. If that has happened, the drilling at the bottom of the valve may also be rusty.

When removing the pipe, it's easy to twist the end off when you try to undo it. Before you start, soak that union with WD40 or proper Plus-gas or similar for a day or two before and be extra careful. Be prepared to have to change the pipe as well! Very often the pipe has rusted to the union nut.
Dave.

FASTY72

Post by FASTY72 » 11th November 2014 - 1:29pm

Thanks for the advice. I will soak it in wd40 and get a new cylinder as they are cheep. :thumbsup: :D
Hi My name is Paul...................... Fasty back together again !!!!!!!!!!