Oil cooler queries

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Havana Henry

Oil cooler queries

Post by Havana Henry » 17th December 2014 - 8:40am

I have searched, but can't answer all my questions, so hope I can gather some more info please.

Car is a late square - a 72 RHD low miles, believed to be original engine (number is correct age, mid 72 anyway). Car is unknown to me, no engine history, and it came with a big oil cooler leak, so first fix it job.

I think from my research it should be 10mm to 10 mm seals. The holes measure to 10mm. It looks like it had the green 'conversion' type 8-10mm seals fitted, so I'm changing for the correct type with equal 10mm top and bottom seals and a central lip. They seem a nice snug fit.

No spacers came off under the cooler. I seem to get conflicting reports reading threads, can anyone say for sure, should there be no spacers? It doesn't look like there should, and I think the correct theory is that there shouldn't be on late cooler / late case.....

I'm planning to check and clean the oil pressure relief valves in case this contributed to the problem (apart from the incorrect seals being fitted). Any tips?

Nuts torque down to 5 ft/lb?

Can I put compressed air through the cooler to clean it? If so, fairly low I assume?

The foam stuff is all gone from the top of the cooler, I understand this helps air flow. Fat household draught excluder do the trick, or will that melt?

Thanks,

James.
72 Square
64 356C

miketyp3

Re: Oil cooler queries

Post by miketyp3 » 17th December 2014 - 10:05am

Yes, post 70 should be 10mm - 10mm with no spacers fitted.
I don't have the tightening torque to hand, but 5 sounds right for M6.

Air will be fine - you won't be pressurising the oil cooler unless you seal the ports off - but I'm not sure how effective it would be.
What tends to accumulate is a sticky gunge, I doubt a rush of air would worry it much.
I leave mine to soak in my parts washer which loosens the gunge and then I pump fluid through it using the nozzle.
What comes though is black to start with then becomes clear. I repeat that once or twice to be sure its all out.

If you don't have a parts washer, then a container of paraffin or petrol (being careful) and some tubing to flush it through might do the job.

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

Havana Henry

Post by Havana Henry » 17th December 2014 - 12:34pm

Thanks Mike.

Any experience on the foam on top issue?

Do you just clean and lube the relief valves once apart?

Cheers,

James
72 Square
64 356C

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 17th December 2014 - 6:19pm

I must admit I've neglected changing the foam in the past but I plan to replace it on the engine I'm building at the moment, so I need to source some myself.
It seems like regular upholstery type stuff, at least the way it falls to bits seems to confirm that its nothing special...

There must be better stuff out there now - it needs a bit of research...

Yes, and check the plungers for burrs. Its not a bad idea to lubricate everything. Try the plungers in the bores to make sure they move freely.

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

Havana Henry

Post by Havana Henry » 17th December 2014 - 7:08pm

Great, thanks for the advice Mike.

James.
72 Square
64 356C