Front brakes

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Calamity Al

Front brakes

Post by Calamity Al » 31st March 2015 - 2:33pm

A couple of questions regarding my front brakes

I have a '66 Polish import, it runs 4 stud wheel pattern with discs up front, will this have been factory or and upgrade to beetle brakes at some point?

I have an issue where the steering snatches quite violently to the right when you apply the brakes, but the more pressure you apply eventually the front left locks up!

I plan to strip, clean and rebuild then bleed brakes but unsure of what service parts to get.

Thanks,

miketyp3

Re: Front brakes

Post by miketyp3 » 31st March 2015 - 2:49pm

Yes that's how it was made. 66 is the first year for 4 stud and disc brakes on a Type 3.

There's something wrong... perhaps a partly seized caliper on the left (more likely when the pads are getting low).
Discs and pads are the same as Beetle and although the calipers are not identical, they fit.
Worth changing the flexi hoses all round if you've not done recently, as they only have so much life. Look in the parts centre at the bottom of the forum page for which ones to get.

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

Calamity Al

Post by Calamity Al » 31st March 2015 - 9:55pm

Ok thats great, I will start with changing the pads and I will try and salvage the callipers.

Are the flexi houses standard fitment?

Thanks,

Editor

Post by Editor » 2nd April 2015 - 2:38am

Fronts flexis are same as disc Beetles. The rear ones don't flex as much, but I guess time takes its toll!
Dave.

Calamity Al

Post by Calamity Al » 7th March 2016 - 12:47pm

Hi,

Only just getting around to this!

Can someone confirm whether or not these are the hoses and pads I require please?

http://www.veewee.co.uk/index.php/parts ... 500%2F1600

Editor

Post by Editor » 8th March 2016 - 12:20am

OK for front pads, but the rear hoses aren't right for your Type 3. It's a swing axle and uses Type 1 swing axle rear hoses.

The parts swap info http://www.vwtype3and4club.org.uk/_docs ... rtswap.htm says the single circuit disc brakes hoses for Aug 66 - July 67 are the same as T1 (Beetle) hoses for front drums from Aug '66 (ie from '67 model). I've not had a '66, so have no experience whether this is right. If you have a reservoir with just one hose going into it, you have a single circuit brake system. Best to measure the length of the one on there and check it's what you want - the end fittings will be the same.

657VG0030 Front Brake Hose for Beetles, Karmann Ghia 1967 on with Drum Brakes. Not for 1302/1303. Equivalent to part number: 113611701D (from VeeWee).

I think if you can get both front calipers to brake after keeping the pedal pressed, you probably just have a hose on the left that is delaminating internally. It's very common, and a new hose should cure it. While in there, you may as well do the other bits too.

Mike, is that right, or is the parts swap info wrong? I'm a bit suspicious about it, even though it was dug out 20 years or more ago from a contemporary trade catalogue, and hasn't been queried since.
Dave.

Calamity Al

Post by Calamity Al » 8th March 2016 - 7:34am

Thanks for the info

I'll have a look at the pipes but I'm pretty sure its single. I'll also measure the pipes to be sure.

I too think its just the 1 pipe collapse, I've had it before on my bay. But if 1 has gone the others wont be far behind.

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 8th March 2016 - 8:48pm

Editor wrote:OK for front pads, but the rear hoses aren't right for your Type 3. It's a swing axle and uses Type 1 swing axle rear hoses.

The parts swap info http://www.vwtype3and4club.org.uk/_docs ... rtswap.htm says the single circuit disc brakes hoses for Aug 66 - July 67 are the same as T1 (Beetle) hoses for front drums from Aug '66 (ie from '67 model). I've not had a '66, so have no experience whether this is right. If you have a reservoir with just one hose going into it, you have a single circuit brake system. Best to measure the length of the one on there and check it's what you want - the end fittings will be the same.

657VG0030 Front Brake Hose for Beetles, Karmann Ghia 1967 on with Drum Brakes. Not for 1302/1303. Equivalent to part number: 113611701D (from VeeWee).

I think if you can get both front calipers to brake after keeping the pedal pressed, you probably just have a hose on the left that is delaminating internally. It's very common, and a new hose should cure it. While in there, you may as well do the other bits too.

Mike, is that right, or is the parts swap info wrong? I'm a bit suspicious about it, even though it was dug out 20 years or more ago from a contemporary trade catalogue, and hasn't been queried since.
That's correct Dave, but aren't those pads the later 2 pin type? You'll need Type 1 pads for earlier cars. Unfortunately the GFS site is lacking reliable information for our cars.
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

Editor

Post by Editor » 9th March 2016 - 1:14am

I think the VeeWee/GSF info is questionable - the '72 2-pin Beetle pads are the same as the '66-'71 Type 3. I think Al will need to measure the pads he has to make sure he is getting the right ones. The '72-on pads are 411 part numbers, not 311 as suggested on the VeeWee/GSF site. The GSF / VeeWee sites are a mess; looking up the brake pads on GSF they are described as rear brake pads, and both the ones up to mid -71 and listed for Aug 71-on are shown as the same size, which is patently not true!
Dave.

Calamity Al

Post by Calamity Al » 9th March 2016 - 7:40am

miketyp3 wrote:
Editor wrote:OK for front pads, but the rear hoses aren't right for your Type 3. It's a swing axle and uses Type 1 swing axle rear hoses.

That's correct Dave, but aren't those pads the later 2 pin type? You'll need Type 1 pads for earlier cars. Unfortunately the GFS site is lacking reliable information for our cars.
The pads on mine are 2 pin

I've measured the hose and its 330mm

Editor

Post by Editor » 10th March 2016 - 1:41am

If you're off to the shop, you can measure what they have. That looks like the usual length for Type 3 discs anyway.
The pads you need are 56mm wide and 53mm high overall, 2-pin. That's the same as 1302S '72 - '74 (as shown in our partswap info) GSF /VeeWee number 642VG0031; Ignore the dimensions on the drawing; the dimensions in the 'more info' link is correct for your Type 3 - . Incidentally they come up as £21 on GSF and £18.60 on VeeWee!
Dave.

Calamity Al

Post by Calamity Al » 12th March 2016 - 4:48pm

Thanks for all the help. I've ended up fitting new callipers, hoses, discs and bearings!

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 12th March 2016 - 5:48pm

At risk of the Egg sucking routine, You did degrease the discs before fitting didn't You?

Calamity Al

Post by Calamity Al » 13th March 2016 - 9:41am

Yes!