Wipers

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Gingerporsche

Wipers

Post by Gingerporsche » 6th April 2016 - 8:56am

Hi,
Just finishing off a 6/12v connversion and struggling to sort the wipers?!!
Have fitted a 12/6v dropper in the black cable from fuse box to switch but their not working and the dropper just gets hot?!! It's the second one I've tried so doubt it can be faulty too!!!
Any help or ideas would be great?!!
It's on a 65 notch!!
Cheers wilf

miketyp3

Re: Wipers

Post by miketyp3 » 6th April 2016 - 10:52am

Are the conversion devices you are using rated for higher loads like the wiper motor?
Most I've seen are just designed for gauges and radios etc.
Back in the old days, we used to wire a 6v bulb in series and hide it away somewhere.
It might be worth doing that just to check everything else is working before you invest in any more.
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

Gingerporsche

Post by Gingerporsche » 6th April 2016 - 11:17am

miketyp3 wrote:Are the conversion devices you are using rated for higher loads like the wiper motor?
Most I've seen are just designed for gauges and radios etc.
Back in the old days, we used to wire a 6v bulb in series and hide it away somewhere.
It might be worth doing that just to check everything else is working before you invest in any more.
Hi mike,
They are supposed to be for the wipers! Empi 12/6v dropper! Had one from C&c then another from heritage but neither seem to work! Doesn't matter which direction you wire it either!!
Reads 12v going in but only 1.4 coming out the other end!!

They did work fine on 6v and if i join the wires back together they work but obviously faster as now 12v!!
Will try a bulb as you say!!
Cheers wilf

vwed

Post by vwed » 6th April 2016 - 12:45pm

Alternatively, what about fitting a 12 volt wiper motor?
I have a 12 volt NOS one but I would need to know your chassis number & handing of vehicle to check the compatibility as there are lots of Type 3 variations when it comes to wiper motors.