Do Condensers have a " Shelf Life "

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
s.unsworth

Do Condensers have a " Shelf Life "

Post by s.unsworth » 16th August 2016 - 10:18am

Do Condensers have a " Shelf Life ".

Just that. Any opinions please, or facts ?

Steve

Editor

Re: Do Condensers have a " Shelf Life "

Post by Editor » 21st August 2016 - 12:27am

I've never changed one in use, or at any other time, so I assume they don't if they're made from the quality materials that Bosch used to use, and maybe still do. Nothing wrong with the ones from the USA, I hope?
Dave.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 21st August 2016 - 9:13am

I'd have thought it depends on storage conditions
The only thing that can go wrong in storage is that the insulting resin dries out & goes open circuit
Or if stored for a long time it might take a while for the condenser to pick up a charge

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 21st August 2016 - 9:29am

Dave,

No. The ones you kindly brought back for me from VW ISP WEST work fine. It's just me trying to get things back to original, like with the Fuel Pump.

The Wire from the Grommet to the Condenser Body is still that 1cm short of being long enough to mount them in the original position on my Distributor though. I fitted one pretty much as soon as you posted them to me. Had to mount it on the same Screw that holds the Grommet Clamp Plate in place. In my disbelief that neither Bosch nor BERU still make a proper Type 3 Condenser I had to go digging. Don't know if they messed up when they both moved all production from Germany to Turkey, or if they just decided to stop making the Long Wire ones. If they had to stop one then logic should have told them to discontinue the Short Wire one, not t'other way round. Bosch Automotive Tradition confirmed that the Number of the ones from VW ISP WEST was correct according to them but it had superseded the original Type 3 Bosch Number. I have now found some British Manufactured ones with that original Bosch Number on the box. The Wires on them are the proper length. I bought one and fitted it yesterday. It works. I can buy some more but they are very old NOS. Just wonder if it is worth it ?

Editor

Post by Editor » 28th August 2016 - 1:57am

How many lifetimes do you need them to work? ;-)
Dave.

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 28th August 2016 - 9:01am

Hi Dave,

It's just good if they last and do not let you down when out on the road, with a car where the only way to change the Condenser is by removing the Distributor.

It would be great to be able to get Original Bosch German Made Condensers that lasted forever. Unfortunately it became the bad habit of Garages to just go fit :- Plugs, Points, Condenser when Servicing.

I have been busy trying to buy up Genuine Bosch Points. Got 3 Sets of 1 237 013 044 The Small Print says Made in Spain though. Just also bought 2 Sets 1 237 013 065 Made in Germany, which are for Porsche. Think they fit the same but have a stronger Spring for the higher revving Porsche Engines.

Also got, to try, 1 Set of Topran Branded £2.99 Points from B & B Components eBay shop. Has anyone bought from them before. Good prices. Also bought a 108mm Fuel Pump Pushrod for £3.99 both delivered Free ! They have Meyle Headlamp Relays for Aircooled VWs at £14.95 Delivered Free. All sounds good to me !
Last edited by s.unsworth on 29th August 2016 - 8:51am, edited 1 time in total.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 28th August 2016 - 10:04am

Bloody hell! How many sets of points do You go through Steve ??
My car's a daily driver & I can't remember when I last had any trouble with the Ignition circuits

Editor

Post by Editor » 28th August 2016 - 12:18pm

Yes, there's belt and braces, then there's Steve with a spare belt and a couple of condensers as well. ;-)
I like the older VWs because they do go on and on, (touch wood!). I don't remember ever changing a condenser, but I'm a bit of a tight wad and don't change things if they're working OK - anything for an easy life!
Dave.

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 29th August 2016 - 8:36am

Peter,

You have to buy the Parts while they are still there.

You can not buy them after they have all gone.

We are only talking about £3 - £4 per Condenser or Set of Points, and they all fit the '66 Beetle as it has a later Engine.

Better in the hands of a Type 3 & 4 Club Member than in the bin.

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 29th August 2016 - 7:15pm

I have the answer now. Yes it seems Condensers may have a Shelf Life.

I had been using the British Made NOS Intermotor 3306 one I bought for £4 inc postage with the Bosch Number 1 237 330 170 as a cross reference on the box. That was the proper Type 3 Number.

They were very old stock. I was going to buy more if they turned out to be any good.

Type 3 started running terribly again today. Would tick over for a while then gradually die and refuse to start again.

Changed back to one of the Bosch ones that Dave kindly brought back from VW ISP WEST.

Problem solved. All running sweet again, and that was all I did. Change the Condenser.

Steve

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 29th August 2016 - 10:31pm

Sorry Steve- I was initially concerned that You were using the condensers & points which was why I asked!
We're all guilty & prudent enough to stockpile components, especially things like Brake discs & Exhausts... The main thing is to not only buy things You might need but also to remember where You've stashed them & indeed what You've got...& pray that someone saves it all when you get too far gone/ old to drive!
You might try connecting Your "Duff" condenser to a battery for a couple of hours, just in case it comes back to life... I'm not too sure of the validity of the theory, but When I was testing Radio's in the Elderly gent's stash, a couple of them that seemed dead at first, came back to life after being left connected & switched on

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 30th August 2016 - 9:21am

That's OK Peter. Can't beat a good discussion to get the opinions of others !

Interesting about the Radios. I probably will not bother doing anything with that Condenser, as it was only £4 inc postage off eBay. I had better warn the seller to bin the rest. Running fine again now with one of the Bosch Made in Turkey ones fitted facing you on the Distributor when you open the Engine lid up against the Fan Housing. i.e. Not round the other side as it was originally / where it should be.

I shall still be buying Type 3 parts if and when I find them. That's how I came to have what was probably the last pair of brand new Genuine VW Late Type 3 Bumpers to be found anywhere on my car - the most expensive part of the car admittedly. Bought from former Club Chairman Jay, via Jane Terry. I have to buy Automatic only parts as they will not be there to be found when I really need them, so I have used Auto Transmissions, Torque Convertor, Drive Plate, Transmission Mounting, Starter Motor. I also have a brand new Type 3 Pieburg Fuel Pump ( and a Type 1 for that matter ). I need to get a Late Type 3 Silencer for stock, and may have found one now. I would like a new, or used Dual Vacuum Distributor for my Automatic. That may be impossible.

Editor

Post by Editor » 30th August 2016 - 1:44pm

Ignition condensers are not electrolytic condensers and won't be re-plated by connecting to a battery. Some radio ones might be able to be re-formed. Moral of Steve's story - don't bother with non-Bosch parts!

Jay used to keep the bumpers under the bed! One day,son, all this will be yours! Trouble is, my sons don't want an old VW!
Dave.

mjrpoulton

Post by mjrpoulton » 30th August 2016 - 9:42pm

I have just bought a new starter for my Auto from ATP in Germany. Found them on the Internet and was about £85 including shipping. Comes with three year warranty and is also listed for various Porsche models. Reckon it was a bargain after seeing a used one at Tatton Park for £120!

Mark
Mark
1975 412LS Variant (built 9/73)
1972 411LE 2 door
1968 type 345 auto
1967 type 344
1972 type 145KG (type3 engine)