Fuel pump replacement

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Joe_bury

Fuel pump replacement

Post by Joe_bury » 17th August 2016 - 5:24am

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone can help me with getting hold of a replacement fuel pump.
I have the original brosol on there but it's packed up. I do have a source for a second hand original in working condition but he wants a lot for it. Car has been sitting for a while so just want to get it going so not fussed at this stage which one goes on.

Does anyone have a good but cheaper replacement part number or links to website so I can get the old girl back up and running.

Any help will be great.

Many thanks

Joe

Chino

Re: Fuel pump replacement

Post by Chino » 17th August 2016 - 10:33am

I believe a Beetle one can be used dependant on application, are you using carbs or FI?

Have a look at this: http://www.vwtype3and4club.org.uk/_docs ... rtswap.htm

Joe_bury

Post by Joe_bury » 17th August 2016 - 10:53pm

Thanks chino that link is a good help in general. I have carbs so will try find one suitable enough for the engine bay.

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 18th August 2016 - 8:57am

If you look 9 posts down this Forum there is a bit about Fuel Pumps. I have just re built my Original Pierburg Type 3 Pump, using a Repair Kit from Custom and Commercial, re fitted it and it works fine. Don't think your Brosal Pump can be original fitment. If you want to get back to original try to get a used Pierburg Pump and a Repair Kit. Cheapest I have found the Repair Kits is Auto Craft Engineering at £26.99 but they are a bit pricey for Postage. I do not think it matters if you get a Type 3 Pump, or Beetle Pump.

I have both a brand new Genuine Type 3 Pierburg Pump and a Genuine Beetle Pierburg Pump found and bought on eBay. No they are not for sale. I noticed Megabug selling a used Original Beetle Pierburg pump on eBay at the moment. They want £19.99 plus postage.

If your Brosal Pump is a Beetle Alternator type then it will have been fitted with a 100mm Pump Pushrod. To change back to an Original Pierburg Pump you will need a 108mm Pushrod.

Steve

Editor

Post by Editor » 20th August 2016 - 11:29am

I don't know if your Australian manufactured Fastback would originally have had a Brosol pump, but it may have had. There's not much difference in the Beetle fuel pump other than the fuel pressure being a bit higher to reach the high up carb. If you choose that route, check it's for the dynamo version not the alternator, or be prepared to change the push-rod too. Rebuild kits are available, and Steve Unsworth has just posted a thread on that.
There are non-return valves in the pump - they may be stuck or clogged, like the carbs were! There's also a gauze filter in the side. The only other thing that's might stop it working is a cracked diaphragm.

One other thought, the push rod may be stuck at the top of its travel - I had that on a Beetle, and of course it doesn't pump then! Remove the pump and turn the engine to see if the push-rod moves up and down about 8mm. At worst you might have to change the plastic flange - take care to remove it carefully, as they are sometimes cracked, and you may need to pull out the bottom part with a bolt threaded into it.

Hope you get it sorted easily. Maybe ask Ross if he has one to spare?
Dave.

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 20th August 2016 - 9:13pm

Mine is still fine on the re built original Pierburg Pump. Had to go back to a 108mm Pushrod, as Dave says. The modern Alternator Pump that was on there used the 100mm one.

Like I said in the other post, I can build my own new Diaphragm Assemblys but have no idea how to re furbish the Shut Off thingy at the top . . . . . Yet. Any ideas please ?

I found my Outlet Valve was OK, so left it alone and kept the new one that came in the Repair Kit. The Inlet Valve was passing a bit so I polished the Seat with Metal Polish,which fixed it.

Volkswagen Classic Parts in Germany sell new Pump Top Housings, which they say includes both Valves. Part Number :- 113 127 171 B

At a cost of € 53.05 plus postage. Ouch !