Windscreen washer on 68 fastback - how does it work.

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
kinga

Windscreen washer on 68 fastback - how does it work.

Post by kinga » 1st September 2016 - 4:30pm

Hi all.
Apologies for the dumb question, but can someone tell me how the windscreen washer system works on my 68 fastback?
The car is new to me and my first type 3.
I came to wash my windscreen during a recent trip out and the little button in the middle of the wiper knob just pushed in with no resistance and nothing happened.
Thanx.

s.unsworth

Re: Windscreen washer on 68 fastback - how does it work.

Post by s.unsworth » 1st September 2016 - 9:21pm

You have got the Screenwash Bottle / Reservoir. Rubber Pipe to the Valve. Rubber Pipe from the Valve to the Washer Jet.

Air pressure provides the motive power to the Water. That is released when you open the Valve The Valve being what you open by pressing the button in the middle of the Wiper Switch.

You need Water in the Screenwash Bottle. The Bottle should be pressurised to 28 PSI. It should have a Cap on it and either a Hose going to the Valve on the Spare Wheel, to supply the air pressure, or a Schrader Valve on the Bottle to pressurise it using a Pump or Air Line.

It has to be leak free from the Bottle the Valve to work. After the valve is not pressurised to the Washer Jet until you press the button but if you have leaks between the Valve and the Washer a Jet it will leak out before the Jet

Hope that makes sense ?

Steve
Last edited by s.unsworth on 1st September 2016 - 11:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

kinga

Post by kinga » 1st September 2016 - 9:51pm

Thanks Steve - I will check that all the parts are present & in good condition.

Marko

Post by Marko » 3rd September 2016 - 11:07am

when I had it it had an electric pump fitted and the original switch/plunger modified to activate a micro switch. if this is still fitted then check for power at the pump (in wheel well)

Mark.
my 1968 Fastback Automatic build thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

kinga

Post by kinga » 3rd September 2016 - 4:32pm

Thanks mark, will check it out when it stops raining!

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 3rd September 2016 - 8:54pm

Don't let them tell you the Air Operated Windscreen Washers do not work. They work fine on my '66 Beetle and '72 Type 3. They are part of the fun and originality of the old VWs.

I have owned many and never changed any if them to Electric Washers.

Steve

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 3rd September 2016 - 11:50pm

Marko did a rather nice job though. Using the original switch but making it electrical internally.

The pressure system always worked, it was just the fun of a perished hose allowing it to blow fluid all over the carpet or the spare tyre being flat just when you needed it that encouraged most folks to go electric
The sultan of swing