timing twin carb 1600

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Foxy1970

timing twin carb 1600

Post by Foxy1970 » 6th October 2016 - 12:13pm

Hi

I have followed the static timing advice (yet to put my light on it at idle) and set the timing of my 1600 twin carb according to the Haynes manual for my engine code, It is static timed to the leftmost crank pulley marking which I believe makes it timed to TDC.

Now this makes me wonder why there is no advance at idle when most of the other engines mentioned that use a vaccuum advance dizzy are timed at 7.5 degrees BTDC at idle?

I am fitting electronic ignition, so would I be able to take advantage of the stronger more reliable spark to advance the timing at idle?

Also is the standard setting for a vaccuum advance dizzy similar to an 009 with maximum advance coming at around 30-32 degrees BTDC?

Im not sure if ive misunderstood the manual as to the reason why my engine is timed with less advance, as its a 1970 does it have something to do with lowering emissions? It runs and pulls fine, but I dont want to be losing power through lack of advance if I could afford to run it a bit hotter

miketyp3

Re: timing twin carb 1600

Post by miketyp3 » 6th October 2016 - 5:10pm

TDC timing is the static setting for the dual vacuum advance & retard distributors originally fitted to those engines.
If you don't have this type of distributor (SVDA or 009) then 7.5 BTDC is most common static setting to get you started.
A good idea to check the full advance with a timing light as you have introduced variables.

The state of the spark has no relation to timing, so use exactly the same settings you would for points ignition.

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

s.unsworth

Re: timing twin carb 1600

Post by s.unsworth » 7th October 2016 - 10:46am

I agree the Timing Should be the same for Electronic Ignition.

However when I tried fitting an Electronic Ignition on my Type 3 the Timing Marks meant absolutely nothing. Just had to find Position for the Distributor to be in where the Engine would Start then set it by ear until it ran the best. When I put the Timing Light on none of the Timing Marks were visible.

Obviously the Timing must have been somewhere near right. Must have been something to do with the way the Unit was made.

Found it started mis firing when the engine warmed up.

Went back to Points and Condenser in the end.

Steve