Fuel sender 68 fasty

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Joe_bury

Fuel sender 68 fasty

Post by Joe_bury » 18th October 2016 - 10:20pm

Hi all,

Quick question has anyone tried a different style fuel sender unit (beetle float type) instead of the standard cylinder type. My part number is 311-919-051 at the moment but doesn't work and seems like they're expensive to replace. So if anyone has a good replacement solution that'll be great

Regards
Joe

Editor

Re: Fuel sender 68 fasty

Post by Editor » 19th October 2016 - 2:32am

I've not heard of a simple alternative to the tube type for a Type 3. The Type 3 tank is relatively shallow, and you would need to find something with the same range and resistance to match the gauge. Also ISTR the holes in the tank are asymmetric - the unit only fits in a certain orientation. If I'm right that could limit what else might fit. There's info on http://home.clara.net/hallvw/fuelsend.htm which may help you repair the unit. It is possible the wire is simply dirty, but it's very thin, easily broken, and can be a bit of a problem to replace as it's not easily soldered.

I suggest you check with a resistance meter between the terminal and the casing to see what reading, if any, you get. If it's around 100 Ohms, the wire and the connections are good and the problem may be in deposits on the wire or the float contacts. If there is a bigger resistance, maybe a few thousand Ohms, but not open circuit (ie infinity) it's most likely bad contacts between the wire and its mounting. That's not too easy, but you'll see more if you very carefully open it. Instructions are on the website. The wire is 44 swg (o.081mm dia) bare nickel chrome (nichrome), and it's used in some polystyrene cutters etc., and it's available in 10m lengths in the UK from wires.co.uk. They can send to Australia, but if you do need some, I still have some here from a 10m length I bought. The length needed is only around 1/2metre.

I hope the project is coming along nicely.
Dave.

Joe_bury

Re: Fuel sender 68 fasty

Post by Joe_bury » 20th October 2016 - 11:53pm

Thanks Dave that's great. Read your link so took the sender apart only to find the thin wire has snapped plus it's completely rusted out so just need to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Project is going ok done everything I can all the jobs around the engine just need to take the engine out now fit the fit clutch, clamp up the exhaust properly and a few other bits then get it registered. Aiming to do this next Wednesday on my 'sick day' ;)
Just need a good whole day without distractions

Thanks for your help