late type wheel silver paint code wanted L91 ? or darker ?

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
GARY C

late type wheel silver paint code wanted L91 ? or darker ?

Post by GARY C » 1st December 2016 - 3:17pm

Hi I need the paint code for late type 3 rims I have an original unused spare wheel and the wheel looks like it was all painted satin black all,over and then just the face of the wheel painted silver with the overpay allowed to blow through to the inside , but the silver colour is not a light silver like I see most beetle wheels painted it is darker almost an "Antique silver " ? Anyone got the correct code ? I did do a search and L91d was mentioned but what was also mentioned that the same colour was used as a body colour ? But the only body silver code I can find is L96d any help much appreciated Gary

miketyp3

Re: late type wheel silver paint code wanted L91 ? or darker

Post by miketyp3 » 2nd December 2016 - 1:47pm

L91 is the only reference I can see too.
If you're unused wheel was made later than actual production parts, possibly it got painted in whatever was the silver of the day.
L91D is Kansas Beige - yes, confusing I know...
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

GARY C

Post by GARY C » 2nd December 2016 - 9:11pm

Thanks Mike
I didn't know that code wasn't a silver just thought it was the wrong shade, all 5 wheels are stamped 5/73 and the spare has never been used just wonder if its silver looks dark because it's painted over the satin black ? As most people when they repaint they're wheels probably use a grey primer ? Would this make a difference ? If I can work out how I'll try and post a photo of the spare Gary

GARY C

Post by GARY C » 8th December 2016 - 8:39am

Hi
An update for future reference the correct code is L91 silver (chrome coloured) and not as I incorrectly put L91d
Thanks Gary

Editor

Post by Editor » 10th December 2016 - 2:20am

Smoothrite silver (Hammerite smooth) is a pretty good match for 70-on. They used to lacquer over but think they stopped doing that. Check your unused spare for gloss rather than a satin effect.
Dave.