Fire Prevention

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Chino

Fire Prevention

Post by Chino » 17th January 2017 - 10:31am

Not the nicest of topics but one I feel I should look into. I already do the basics like carrying an extinguisher, checking fuel pump etc, but I was wondering if there would be room to fit a Blaze Cut system under the deck lid? It seems a nice simple and effective way of doing it, I imagine with an extinguisher by the time you've open the boot and lid etc. things will be toast.

http://blazecut.com/small-enclosures/en ... partments/

My main concern are old Carb parts failing etc.

937carrera

Re: Fire Prevention

Post by 937carrera » 18th January 2017 - 1:01am

I suspect that's a very similar system as is in place on race cars with a reservoir and nozzle for the fluid (probably AFF) to help extinguish the fire. You could take a look at those systems as well.

A cheap and convenient idea is quick release battery terminals. With an electrical fire simply release one of the terminals and the energy source is removed.

I wrote my mums type 3 off when I was 15 ( a '72 as well). Thought I would pull if forward on the drive and wash it for her. The car seemed sluggish so I opened the tailgate and engine cover. It was too late. :( The fire brigade advised it was an electrical fault, their first action was to disconnect the battery. Tyres went pop but no movie style petrol tank explosion. Fortunately they said whoever had started the car would have had the same result. :paranoid:
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

Chino

Post by Chino » 18th January 2017 - 9:40am

Thanks David, I'll take a look at them. I've got a twist off type connector on my battery for easily disconnecting for laying it over winter.

I do like BlazeCut idea, I found a tutorial (albeit for a T25), where it had been set around the edge of the engine lid:

https://smallcar.com/blazecut-fire-supp ... ystem.html

I think the idea is the tube is full of a fire suppressant under pressure, if a fire occurs the tubing melts which releases the suppressant and starves the fire of oxygen.

My concern was what we could fit in a Type 3 bay, with them being quite compact.

eagle

Post by eagle » 19th January 2017 - 6:23pm

Also check the carb tops as on mine the brass piece came out and eventually dripping fuel caught fire. As it was in the wiring corner the shorting caused the starter to continue to crank. I do have pictures if anyone wants to see the results.
If fitting a suppression system I would consider the above as well

Editor

Post by Editor » 26th January 2017 - 12:09pm

Also FI Type 3s are particularly prone to fuel leaks from old hoses, and can pump a fair bit of fuel in a short time. At least they're not as prone to catching fire as Zafiras! The only one I can recall from the club is the late Bob Thomas' lovely Marina blue Variant, that had an engine fire some time after he had sold it, and was up for sale from a salvage company as a category B, so couldn't be rebuilt - a great shame.
Dave.